Nice Hybodus Spine Mixed In With Mosasaur Skull

sseth

sweeeeet! not just one amazing find but two thats right two!

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Here are a few pics of the mosasaur material as well. Everything in this jacket is preserved incredibly well, right down to the smallest detail on the jaws. The first picture shows an up close of the condition of the bones. There is also an incredible layer of microfossils under the mosasaur material. I have found thousands of shark, ray, and fish teeth, along with some teeth and fossils I am still working to identify. It has been a very fun project.

post-2399-0-98072900-1304623400_thumb.jpg

post-2399-0-93623700-1304623402_thumb.jpg

post-2399-0-38723700-1304623404_thumb.jpg

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

It looks like the matrix from one of the Maastrichtian-age phosphate beds in Morocco. I don't know a lot about mosasaurs nor the latest names but the teeth look like those of what has been called Platycarpus ptychodon. If so, I've never seen a hybodont spine of that age from Morocco. In any case, I'd like to know where (site and layer) that was collected too.

Wow!!

Where is that from? I don't recognize the matrix.

Extra goodies while prepping, I could get into that.

Great stuff :)

It looks like the matrix from one of the Maastrichtian-age phosphate beds in Morocco. I don't know a lot about mosasaurs nor the latest names but the teeth look like those of what has been called Platycarpus ptychodon. If so, I've never seen a hybodont spine of that age from Morocco. In any case, I'd like to know where (site and layer) that was collected too.

Siteseer

You are correct. It is an example of platecarpus from the phosphate beds in Morocco. I had also never seen a hybodus spine from this material so this one was a shocker, and the reason I just needed to post it. Let me go back through my records and I will post the exact location and layer. I have several of these skulls I am currently working on and don't remember off the top of my head which site this is from.

Thanks

Seth

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

Guest N.AL.hunter

Thanks for posting more pictures. What a great specimen. I can't imagine getting to work on fossils like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, looks fantastic. And great job on the preparation so far.

Edited by LordTrilobite

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite