Fossil Hunting Rigs

chele

If it isn't snow it is rain! It is raining so hard now. The dirt here is terrible. Just a little moisture makes it impossible to go anywhere in the hills. I think it is time to break out Big Red! It is a custom built 4X4 rig. It is 750 horsepower! Not good on fuel but it gets us where no other rig can. I know the pic is small(I will try to find a better one). The hubby is on the right. It is a four seater and can hold a lot of rock! The Jimmy the hubby built does well also(450 horsepower. The paint is military paint so it can take a beating. I put a pic of a couple of other trucks built for rock hunting. Our saying here is go big or go home!

post-5476-0-52168400-1305045765_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-72369000-1305045904_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-63992300-1305045928_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-83032300-1305046102_thumb.jpg

Chelebele

750 HP with a single 4-barrel, naturally-aspirated?!!

The best I ever managed was 550 HP (from a '70 LT1). 'Course, it was street legal, and 38 years ago...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I could really do with that truck...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

750 HP with a single 4-barrel, naturally-aspirated?!!

The best I ever managed was 550 HP (from a '70 LT1). 'Course, it was street legal, and 38 years ago...

Big red dyno at 750 hp it has a blown 532" big block in it, and the Jimmy has a 383 stroker. :D

Chelebele

Oh, yeah! Those are the ones where you can actually see the gas gauge needle move when you press on the accelerator. :P

Oh, yeah! Those are the ones where you can actually see the gas gauge needle move when you press on the accelerator. :P

That isn't the ony thing to move, my bllod pressure moved to max when I seen the cost to build an engine that size! :o

Chelebele

Big red dyno at 750 hp it has a blown 532" big block in it, and the Jimmy has a 383 stroker. :D

>whew< I thought the engine pic was Big Red's...

I don't feel so inferior now.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

>whew< I thought the engine pic was Big Red's...

I don't feel so inferior now.

I get a strange look from people when When I talk engines. My dad was a foreign car mechanic and my husband is a horsepower freak, so I have been around them most of my life. My cousin in holland does tractor pulls.

post-5476-0-52185200-1305054749_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-55702700-1305054995_thumb.jpg

Chelebele

I thought I would put a shot of my bone hunting truck and the other way of getting around

The old truck is as old as the dinosaurs

post-310-0-08303700-1305250529_thumb.jpg post-310-0-74708500-1305250559_thumb.jpg

Edited by grampa dino

If it isn't snow it is rain! It is raining so hard now. The dirt here is terrible. Just a little moisture makes it impossible to go anywhere in the hills. I think it is time to break out Big Red! It is a custom built 4X4 rig. It is 750 horsepower! Not good on fuel but it gets us where no other rig can. I know the pic is small(I will try to find a better one). The hubby is on the right. It is a four seater and can hold a lot of rock! The Jimmy the hubby built does well also(450 horsepower. The paint is military paint so it can take a beating. I put a pic of a couple of other trucks built for rock hunting. Our saying here is go big or go home!

I see an alpinestar sticker on the back of that blazer. Being an ex off road motorcyle rider I had to say sumpin....

Still have my alpinestar MX Boots :D

I see an alpinestar sticker on the back of that blazer. Being an ex off road motorcyle rider I had to say sumpin....

Still have my alpinestar MX Boots :D

It used to be a good way to get around, now there are 4 wheelers and a UTV. Can hual more now!

Chelebele

I thought I would put a shot of my bone hunting truck and the other way of getting around

The old truck is as old as the dinosaurs

post-310-0-08303700-1305250529_thumb.jpg post-310-0-74708500-1305250559_thumb.jpg

My husband calls the second pic APCs (all personnel carriers) ;)

Chelebele

Most of my local collecting is along the Calvert Cliffs so my fossil collecting rig is a little different than most. It has made the trip to NC a couple times too.

post-281-0-87029800-1305255980_thumb.jpg

Most of my local collecting is along the Calvert Cliffs so my fossil collecting rig is a little different than most. It has made the trip to NC a couple times too.

post-281-0-87029800-1305255980_thumb.jpg

Nice boat. At least you don't have to worry about flat tires. :D

Chelebele