Coffee Table Display Case.

Louie

My wife's not big fan of my dust collecting fossil display on the bookshelves in the den, so we found a coffee table at Pottery Barn that doubles as a case. It's a bit expensive but...problem solved! Keeps the dust out, protects the fossils, and makes for quite the conversation piece :D The glass is the unbreakable kind too.

post-2306-0-95154000-1305321260_thumb.jpg

post-2306-0-19752800-1305321272_thumb.jpg

post-2306-0-35106600-1305321283_thumb.jpg

I'm gonna need a bigger coffee table... :rolleyes:

Very nicely done, Louie! :)

Thanks for sharing that.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That looks great, I wish my better half would let me do something like that.

Rule number one ,Keep that in the Dino Room

Rule number two, the same as #1 sad.gif

My wife's not big fan of my dust collecting fossil display on the bookshelves in the den, so we found a coffee table at Pottery Barn that doubles as a case. It's a bit expensive but...problem solved! Keeps the dust out, protects the fossils, and makes for quite the conversation piece :D The glass is the unbreakable kind too.

Very nice so the table as the content :wub:

Many thanks for sharing ;)

Unfortunately I need about ... fifty or more...:(

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Great find!

Now that the precedent is set..... ;):P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

:) Do they make them as large as a big room? If so I need a few of them. :D

Bear-dog.

Haha! Thanks! I know some of you have huge collections (gonna need a bigger boat) :D Not a bad way to get a few out there on display ;) Luckily for us, it holds most of it. I still have a couple Mios on the wall and whatnot.

i have a similar table and love it. good variety in your collection.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

quote name='Louie' timestamp='1305325737' post='230855']

Haha! Thanks! I know some of you have huge collections (gonna need a bigger boat) :D Not a bad way to get a few out there on display ;) Luckily for us, it holds most of it. I still have a couple Mios on the wall and whatnot.

:) Hey,it's a nice idea.Nice display as well.Just remember.We started out with small collections as well. :D

Bear-dog.

Pottery Barn? I have had that idea in my head for awhile now. Is it lockable? Its a great idea and a nice display case. And you probably get asked more questions about your collection with it being in the middle of the room to. Thanks for sharing!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Pottery Barn? I have had that idea in my head for awhile now. Is it lockable? Its a great idea and a nice display case. And you probably get asked more questions about your collection with it being in the middle of the room to. Thanks for sharing!

Yes, good 'ole Pottery Barn. We stopped in a couple of weeks ago and there it was. They didn't have it in stock but were able to order one in within a few days. No lock...but I'm sure it's possible to come up with something. And yes, definately, the collection seems a lot more interesting to other people (and even me) all of a sudden when it's right under my Bud Light on the coffee table :D

That is one nifty cabinet of curiosities and the fossils are fabulous as well. Bravo Louie! :D

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Cool way to show them Louie and nice collection :)

I think we need to invent the see-thru flooring system. Bascially a very large version of a coffie table. :) :)

One of my friends uses a similar table for a fossil display but it has just one large compartment.

That's a great mix of fossils.

Guest N.AL.hunter

I've always wanted one of those. Very, very nice. If it wasn't for already having a family heirloom, I would go get one now, especially after seeing yours. We have a furniture store here that has one with four different drawers to it. You can change the drawers whenever you want to display something else.

Thank you for the compliments on the table and my collection! That means a lot coming from the quality of membership here! I do like having some variety.

It past muster with flying colors today at my daughter's 1st communion party! We had about 20 people over and most gathered in the den where the table is. The fossils/table combo (mainly just the fossils) generated major interest. Even our Catholic preist stopped by, sat down, and said "Wow, look at this", and the conversations took off again. I highly doubt if that would've happened if they were still in the bookcase over against the wall.

BTW, the 1st communion was so sweet, and special, and nice! What a great day :D:D:D

I think you've managed to do what many of us have aspired to do, in having a fossil coffee table. I think you've sparked a rush on Pottery Barn; I'm going to look into buying some of their stock. :D

-HZJ

Love the table, the color is great, and i like the lifting lid. The table I have has a drawer, and no dividers, I like the table becase i can display a lot of small stuff in, but the drawer is wider than the cut out in the top of table so some stuff kind of gets hidden. I still love the coffee table show case.

I think you've managed to do what many of us have aspired to do, in having a fossil coffee table. I think you've sparked a rush on Pottery Barn; I'm going to look into buying some of their stock. :D

-HZJ

I had a feeling the members here would interested! BTW..the symbol is WSM (Williams-Sonoma) if you want to buy some stock ;);)

It's compartments are fairly deep (4.375" from the bottom to the glass). That's a Shark Tooth Hill whale vert in the lower right hand corner.

For everyone outside the US... Pottery Barn is a big US furniture & home accessories retailer with stores & web sales. I don't know if they ship overseas.

One guess where it's made...........China! But, it's very solid & well made.

Jim

Edited by Louie

Love the table, the color is great, and i like the lifting lid. The table I have has a drawer, and no dividers, I like the table becase i can display a lot of small stuff in, but the drawer is wider than the cut out in the top of table so some stuff kind of gets hidden. I still love the coffee table show case.

Thanks. I'd like to see a pic of your table!!

Also, I'd love to see pics of other coffee table cases and then the Pottery Barn tables after they get delivered in the next few days or weeks :D

Louie... Very nice table and collection, I see you have a bit of Somerset blue lias in there, a place close to my heart.... Thanks for sharing your fossils...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)