Strictly Bidness!

Uncle Siphuncle

We may have touched on this subject 2-3 years ago; I don't rightly recall. However its a good point in time for new and old members alike to consider showing their fossiliferousness in the workplace. I think I have roughly 18 species of ammonites, 14 species of echinoids, a few shark teeth, bivalves, gastropods, a couple trilobite species, horse teeth, horse and bison verts, petrified wood, Green River fish, pyrite, hematite, other minerals, sandstone concretions, mammoth tooth frags, and perhaps a few other things scattered around my office.

Good thing management is fossil friendly. Everyone from production line workers to the president now has fossils if they are interested in them - same goes for their kids. I even gave our moldmaker some pet wood since he makes his living with wood...but advised him not to run it through the bandsaw. All the front desk ladies got a kick out of recieving a big Chesapecten each. I've found that slinging my boss a fossil every now and then doesn't hurt my success rate on being granted vacation on a day's notice. Anyway, here are some pics.

post-22-0-08288300-1305347449_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-19641500-1305347453_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-75775600-1305347461_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-94672600-1305347469_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-83873100-1305347478_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-22967200-1305347488_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

some more

post-22-0-88690800-1305347600_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-80353700-1305347608_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-27930600-1305347629_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Still more

post-22-0-97712200-1305347729_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-65558100-1305347738_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-69227200-1305347748_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-60818300-1305347759_thumb.jpg

Edited by danwoehr

Grüße,

But wait...there's more

post-22-0-74030800-1305347876_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-10878800-1305347886_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Hold onto your seat...

post-22-0-75810600-1305347974_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-31850800-1305347982_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-58029100-1305347990_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-36411700-1305347996_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-44785100-1305348000_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Well, I really don't have a job that is "display friendly" (I'm a line mechanic at a chocolate factory). However, I used to service rock crushers, back in the day. My workbench had a box of "leverite" sitting on it, mostly odd rocks I found on job sites, a few ferns, a brachiopod or two, that sort of thing. One Monday morning I came in, and there was a little chunk of concrete sitting on top, maybe an inch by two inches, with blue paint on one side and a sticker that read "Three rivers Stadium". I'm pretty sure I still have it--somewhere. That and I once found a chunk of leg bone in a machine that had been at the Meadowlands in NJ. I've always been leery of having it id'ed, as it looks too suspiciously big to be deer bone, but too small to be bovine. I sometimes jokingly say I know what happened to Hoffa, if you know what I mean. ;)

Edited by redbrick

Andy (redbrick)

"All living things do one of two things. They either grow, or they die. When they stop growing, they immediately start dying. The mind is also a living thing."

Home stretch!

post-22-0-48906900-1305348077_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-16909100-1305348086_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

The president of my company has taken a special interest in paleo, so much so that he has set up a little fossil shrine in his office as well. He gives lots of plant tours and likes to bring guests to our "little museum". Once he brought Tim Duncan from the Spurs into my office while we were putting A/C in his Camaro. Tim doesn't say a whole lot but his eyes were all over my fossils. If I catch him doing that again I may just need to invite him! Now a few pics from Vintage Air president Jack Chisenhall's office.....

post-22-0-94373100-1305348330_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-59847700-1305348347_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-23035200-1305349020_thumb.jpg

Edited by danwoehr

Grüße,

I do inventory management for Petco, so I don't get an office...however, I did manage to take one of our 4-foot tanks that I use to stock angelfish, cardinal tetras, rummynose tetras, and blue rams...plant it...swap to a natural gravel...and add in plenty of my large scrap shark teeth and other assorted fossils from the NJ Cretaceous. Kids especially get a kick out of trying to find as many as they can by looking through the tank.

The president of my company has taken a special interest in paleo, so much so that he has set up a little fossil shrine in his office as well. He gives lots of plant tours and likes to bring guests to our "little museum". Once he brought Tim Duncan from the Spurs into my office while we were putting A/C in his Camaro. Tim doesn't say a whole lot but his eyes were all over my fossils. If I catch him doing that again I may just need to invite him! Now a few pics from Vintage Air president Jack Chisenhall's office.....

Say Hi to Tim next time ya see him :) I saw him play many years back in W-S,NC while he was at Wake. A very nice guy.

I used to show some of the bones to guys I worked with before company closed and they all commented nice looking rocks. They had no interest in them at all. Though old job in W-S when I lived there had stuff like that decorating my cubicle...

Home stretch!

Im curious is the image on the far right fossilized dinosaur poo?

"Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday" - Dale Carnegie

Dan, do you know the latin name of your shark jaws ?

Nice collection.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

coco-atlantic sharpnose...caught them myself

Grüße,

Is it Rhizoprionodon terraenovae ? I havn't this species in my collection ! I have only R. acutus... k_crying.gifpleure-triste-59.gif

Do you know if they was male or female ? It is easy to see in sharks and rays you catch yourself, and it could be interesting to compare tooth.

Coco ouin.gif

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

coco i've caught many sharpnose in the gulf of mexico and eaten them. i've taken pictures and video of many catches but there is no way to tie pictures now to specific jaws unfortuneately. i've also caught blacktip, bull, bonnethead, scalloped hammerhead, and nurse sharks. i'd have to look back through my offshore pics to see if i've taken a silky, spinner, or lemon. i'd love to catch a mako - cool teeth+best meat.

Grüße,

You make me dream with all these species !

I have only 1 Sphyrna lewini (scalloped hammerhead), only 1 Sphyrna tiburo (Bonnethead shark), only 1 Charcharhinus melanopterus (blacktip).

I havn't any Carcharias taurus (bullshark) and Gynglymostoma (nurse shark) larmes-aux-yeux-524.gif

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Hey, Dan, very cool setup in your office. Nicely done! Boy, that is going to be one huge pain in the backside for some HR person to box up one of these days...oh wait, that's my company, not yours, nevermind!

Nice collection, Dan. If you put this on your desk, it will save you having to verbalize an opinion—all you have to do is point!

post-1410-0-26741300-1305472492_thumb.jpg

Edited by bruce

coco-one of those sets of jaws is yours

richard-hopefully i'm so dug in that its a pain to fire me

bruce-people leave coprolites on my desk all the time...being an engineer is a thankless job!

Grüße,

some more

Dan, are you an Engineer? I have some of those exact same books and I'm a EE. Good stuff!

Daryl S.

thair has an awesome office. Maybe he'll post a few. I've got a couple of pieces of pet wood and an oyster. The boss complains enough about all the stuff in my office (a clean desk is a sign of a sick mind - and someone who is not busy). If I brought in more, he would probably freak.

coco-one of those sets of jaws is yours

Youhou !

:meg dance::meg dance::meg dance::meg dance::meg dance:

Many thanks Dan !

Coco [Jumping everywhere into her office]

----------------------

Un Greg...

That's my office in Burghausen, Germany:

post-2081-0-36646900-1305713136_thumb.jpg

post-2081-0-25505200-1305713711_thumb.jpg

(yeah, I know, it's time to clean up - it's a bit messy)

Unfortunately, I have to move to Shanghai on September 1st and I can't take anything with me.

k_crying.gif

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Besides being an avocational paleo guy, I also collect O-guage trains and Ansel Adams photographic prints. So my office turns out to be a bit eclectic with fossils (ammonites, echinoids, shark teeth and replicas of the hand and toe claw cores of "Acrocanthosaurus") along with Lionel and MTH O guage engines and freight and passenger cars as well as 4 Ansel Adams photographic prints from "The Mural Project - 1941-1942".

In other words, when employees or clients enter my office there is always something for them to comment on and an opportunity for me to tell them a bit about the subject in question. I am always amazed at their curiosity and often they will relate that they have always wanted to do "X" (whatever we are talking about). It is my desire that they go away with a bit of knowledge and perhaps a rekindled interest in things past.

I think many of us miss an opportunity to widen the audience for our individual hobbies. Using our offices or work spaces is a great way to accomplish that goal. The display doesn't have to be large or important - something small can often work just as well. So I encourage or challenge all of you - take a fossil to work!!! Even if it sits on top of your tool box in the shop or on top of your monitor in your work space, you'll be surprised at the interest it will generate.

Roger