Conecuh River Alabama

buzzcreek

My son and I spent a few hours on the Conecuh this week and we found quite a few sirenian (sea cow) rib fragments and some odds and ends. One particular fossil is an apparent tooth but I cannot be sure of that since there is no real WEAR marks on it. In years past we have found several ENTELODONT (Dinohyus Hollandi) molars of similar size to this fossil. This may not be a Dinohyus fossil at all. I simply am clueless at this point and welcome any suggestions. IF IT IS A TOOTH - I suspect it (MIGHT) be a Dinohyus molar that never emerged from the gumline and therefore the crown (if it is a crown) is not worn at all. The irregular smooth convex extensions are otherwise a bit baffling to me.

I recently gave a talk from an amateurs point of view to the Pensacola Historical and Treasure Hunter's Association. Though the fossil talk was a bit off topic for them, it was warmly received. A power point presentation of that talk is on a button link near the top of the page at buzzcreek dot com.

I'll add some more angles on this and better photography later. Thanks for looking.

post-5772-0-53701900-1305553074_thumb.jpg

Edited by buzzcreek

I'll get some photos of the other teeth soon (not at my house now). I'll also add some more angles of this fossil. There "appears" to be a gumline. There appears to be a side worn by contact with an adjoining "tooth?". The lack of wear on the irregular "crown" ridges gives me pause to assign the item firmly in the "molar tooth" category. Look for more pictures in a day or so. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

At last I have collected more photos of some of the teeth found at the Conecuh River site about 1/2 mile upstream of Mansel Rock. These photos include the uknknown "fossil" which has a weight, patina and some surfaces familiar to teeth and a "crown" surface that does NOT appear as any tooth known. Others photos here include a possible dinohyus molar, an unknown canine type tooth and a jaw with two teeth identified as a juvinile rhinoceros. The "unknown" fossil is a bit larger than the "dinohyus molar" (if it is dinohyus - noting this site has in the past presented actual dinohyus molars verified by the Smithsonian museum.

More about this particular site from a presentation given to Pensacola Treasure Hunters Association in early 2011

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B84gZlSr2V3FYzBmMDkxMWQtZjg1MC00ODJkLTk3M2UtOTM1YjRhNTg0ZGRi&authkey=CJHgyJgI&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

post-5772-0-20840800-1311444388_thumb.jpg

post-5772-0-33039100-1311444400_thumb.jpg

post-5772-0-03080100-1311444413_thumb.jpg

post-5772-0-34566300-1311444426_thumb.jpg

post-5772-0-04879800-1311444434_thumb.jpg

post-5772-0-63293600-1311444447_thumb.jpg

post-5772-0-03106900-1311444457_thumb.jpg

post-5772-0-95769900-1311444463_thumb.jpg

More pictures. I used file names to id them but apparently that does not transfer with the attachment.post-5772-0-92244500-1311445214_thumb.jpg

Edited by buzzcreek

More pictures. I used file names to id them but apparently that does not transfer with the attachment.post-5772-0-92244500-1311445214_thumb.jpg

Those are really poor-quality images, buzz; but, I do recognize Dinohyas (or Daeodon, since 1998).

These teeth seem small compared to D. hollandi of the Nebraska Oligocene. They are certainly smaller than the Early Miocene species of Florida.

post-42-0-50552700-1311447867_thumb.jpg

I also see rhino teeth. These are more than likely from a small, cursorial species of the Diceratherium (Subgenus Menoceras).

Which image is of the mystery tooth-like fossil?

When making images of mammal teeth, three views are important: Lingual, Labial, and Occlusal.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

At last I have collected more photos of some of the teeth found at the Conecuh River site about 1/2 mile upstream of Mansel Rock. These photos include the uknknown "fossil" which has a weight, patina and some surfaces familiar to teeth and a "crown" surface that does NOT appear as any tooth known. Others photos here include a possible dinohyus molar, an unknown canine type tooth and a jaw with two teeth identified as a juvinile rhinoceros. The "unknown" fossil is a bit larger than the "dinohyus molar" (if it is dinohyus - noting this site has in the past presented actual dinohyus molars verified by the Smithsonian museum.

More about this particular site from a presentation given to Pensacola Treasure Hunters Association in early 2011

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B84gZlSr2V3FYzBmMDkxMWQtZjg1MC00ODJkLTk3M2UtOTM1YjRhNTg0ZGRi&authkey=CJHgyJgI&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

Those are really nice fossils, congrats. I remain in doubt about the unknown photo. To me, it is some kind of mineral, maybe hematite or psilomelane

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

...I used file names to id them but apparently that does not transfer with the attachment...

If you mouse-over the picture, the file name will display. ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Which image is of the mystery tooth-like fossil?

When making images of mammal teeth, three views are important: Lingual, Labial, and Occlusal.[/size][/font]

Thanks for the tips. The mystery fossil is labeled unknown. There are three shots there. The "crown" shot has a little white powder in the crevices (just not cleaned up well). In years we never found any mineral-like deposits other than "iron rock" from a strata that seems to have helped trap a lot of these fossils as they wash out of the other strata. Other points in the river are scattered with iron rock fragments as well but of the several only one really seems to coexist with a lot of fossils - which include Charcarodon shark as well as Daeodon, Sea Cow ribs , etc etc. ( A "lot" being relative. Every hour of good searching here turns up one or two reasonably nice fossils ).

Edited by buzzcreek