Ikamauius Ensifer

siteseer

I thought I would start a thread about an unusual shark species. I haven't seen anyone else write about it.

Back in the 90's I knew a few collectors in New Zealand and traded fossils with them. From them I received a few rostral teeth of a sawshark genus (and species) I had not seen before. Sawsharks are true sharks (Order Pristiophoriformes). This distinguishes them from sawfishes, which are classified as rays.

Today's sawsharks (Family Pristiophoridae) belong to the genera Pristiophorus (five species) and Pliotrema (one species). One other genus is known only as a fossil, Ikamauius, and only from sites in New Zealand ranging in age from Late Eocene to Early Pleistocene. There is only one named species, Ikamauius ensifer (name means "Maui's sword-bearing fish" - the author did not specify the Polynesian language in the etymology, possibly Maori).

The rostral teeth of I. ensifer are very similar to those of Pliotrema but in Ikamauius the rostral teeth are barbed (serrated) on both the anterior and posterior edges. In Pliotrema they are barbed only on the posterior edge and only on longer specimens.

The rostral teeth appear to be somewhat common at one locality (Campbell's Beach, Kakanui, Gee Greensand - age considered Late Oligocene to Early Miocene). When they are found, the root (peduncle) is usually missing so the specimens tend to be crowns broken somewhere toward the root. As far as I know, its oral teeth remain unknown but if the matrix breaks down, someone will likely find them in the 1-2mm size range.

The pictured specimens are one well-preserved crown with part of the root (about 25mm long) and one apparent pathologic specimen (ripples in the enameloid).

For more information:

Keyes, I.W. 1979.

Ikamauius, a new genus of fossil sawshark (Order Selachii: Family Pristiophoridae) from the Cenozoic of New Zealand. N.Z. Journal of Geology and Geophysics. Vol. 22(1): 125-129.

post-1482-0-02788100-1306803601_thumb.jpg

Edited by siteseer
  • I found this Informative 1

Jess: This is a new one for me, thanks for the introduction and the great pic. For comparison, here is a Pliotrema from South Africa.

post-77-0-87819600-1306805247_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

interesting teeth , Jess thanks for the comments ; Kevin other nice teeth in your collection ;)

Today's sawsharks (Family Pristiophoridae) belong to the genera Pristiophorus (five species) and Pliotrema (one species).

I know : Pristiophorus cirratus, P. japonicus, P. nudipinnis and P. schroederi. What is the last species ?

It is a nice post, I think I never seen these species of teeth before. Thanks.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

NS,

That's a nice one. I have one as well (maybe we traded with a mutual friend). The ones I've seen have all come from Milnerton. Pliotrema is also known from a Mid-Late Paleocene of California. I've been to the site but didn't find anything. I heard you need to do a lot of screening.

Jess

Jess: This is a new one for me, thanks for the introduction and the great pic. For comparison, here is a Pliotrema from South Africa.

Coco,

A species was named in 2008, P. delicatus. I'd like to find that description. There is a mention of the species here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawshark

Jess

I know : Pristiophorus cirratus, P. japonicus, P. nudipinnis and P. schroederi. What is the last species ?

It is a nice post, I think I never seen these species of teeth before. Thanks.

Coco

Ah OK, I didn't know that. Thanks !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

here is a paper describing this (P.delicatus) and several other species...PDF

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

What a beautiful tooth! So good to see one I have never seen

before..

Welcome to the forum!

Nice spines J-man. I think I've got a few also from NZ (have to check when I get home). However, they can't be as nice as the ones you have shown. Also, nice write-up on the subject.

FS

Nice spines J-man. I think I've got a few also from NZ (have to check when I get home). However, they can't be as nice as the ones you have shown. Also, nice write-up on the subject.

FS

Yes, I do indeed have a few - they came from YOU! :P

Very good and interesting post siteseer ...... great looking rostrum and it is always great to learn of a species you have not heard of before

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

I have found these spikes before here in New Zealand and was always of the opinion that they were fish dorsal spines as they have been found in association with fish vertebrate inside concretions so always thought them to be fish.

tangahoe formation pliocene - late miocene, 2 locations taranaki nz.

post-1182-0-26628300-1307341480_thumb.jpg

post-1182-0-01598100-1307341920_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dave pom Allen
  • I found this Informative 2

You would have to read the description by Keyes (1979). He did a histological study and concluded they were sawshark

spines.

I have found these spikes before here in New Zealand and was always of the opinion that they were fish dorsal spines as they have been found in association with fish vertebrate inside concretions so always thought them to be fish.

tangahoe formation pliocene - late miocene, 2 locations taranaki nz.