Mammoths Cross Breeding

Tarheel59

very interesting Tarheel, thanks!

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Interesting? Fascinating! :)

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

Problems with this article as reported.

-It is unlikely that two species with a million years of separation between them could interbreed. Either they weren't separated by a million years, or they didn't interebreed,

-I believe there is only one species of African elephant?

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Problems with this article as reported.

-It is unlikely that two species with a million years of separation between them could interbreed. Either they weren't separated by a million years, or they didn't interebreed,

-I believe there is only one species of African elephant?

Brent Ashcraft

Some say that there should be 2 species of African elephant Brent. Check it out My link But hey I am not qualified to say yeah or nay :)

Edited by Tarheel59

Very interesting, thanks for posting. Those species did live at the same time, in N.America, but they arrived here1 million years apart. Yes there are at least two species of African elephant. Oh, and with these types of studies you always have to worry about contamination in the DNA samples.

Some say that there should be 2 species of African elephant Brent. Check it out My link But hey I am not qualified to say yeah or nay :)

Interesting, but it sound like they were in the process of speciating, but are now homogenizing. Their error range for seperation is also huge, not causig me to look at their work with great confidence. It sounds to me like the mammologists have a bad case of "splitters", also common among people who study fossil sharks. Completely uncurable in most cases.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen