Shark And Ray Verts From The Nsr

Foshunter

Collection of shark and ray verts from the Upper Cretaceous, Ozan Formation that were found in the Nsr over a period of time. If anyone can ID any of the verts to a specific shark or ray it would be appreciated as my resource material isn't as vast as other members have--Tom

post-3940-0-59541400-1307034212_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Wow, a nice assortment of verts.

I suspect the bigger ones are Scapanorynchus since it seems to be the only common big shark swimming around, although they could also be Squalicorax I guess? The pattern of the septa (ridges) would help narrow it down I guess. I've spend a few minutes trying to find verts from a modern goblin shark but with no luck.

I really love that your sharing your collection with us. It's absolutely amazing and a joy to see what can be found out there. :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Wow, a nice assortment of verts.

I suspect the bigger ones are Scapanorynchus since it seems to be the only common big shark swimming around, although they could also be Squalicorax I guess? The pattern of the septa (ridges) would help narrow it down I guess. I've spend a few minutes trying to find verts from a modern goblin shark but with no luck.

Thanks Tony, shark and ray verts of this period seem to lack comprehensive documentation as to identity, wish there was more info out there--Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

I really love that your sharing your collection with us. It's absolutely amazing and a joy to see what can be found out there. :D

Tera, Thanks for your comment. When you live in an area where Indian artifacts and fossils aren't an interest to others, it has been nice to find the Forum and be able to finally show a lifetime of collecting to others that have the same interest. I hope that in some way that just seeing a picture will help someone else ID their finds or spark an interest in the hobby. I'm by far not as knowledgeble as others on the Forum and apprciate their input--Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"

VERY nice collection of NSR verts! I believe Tony Eaton is probably right about the ID on many of those verts. It is very hard to tell the lamniform shark verts from one another. You pretty much have to know which species are the most dominant in the area you are collecting in and then sort of make some assumptions (unless you get really lucky and find associated teeth).

I have learned in recent years that shark verts from the genus, Ptychodus actually have lines running from the outer portion of the vert toward the center. Most other types of sharks only have the concentric lines.

Collection of shark and ray verts from the Upper Cretaceous, Ozan Formation that were found in the Nsr over a period of time. If anyone can ID any of the verts to a specific shark or ray it would be appreciated as my resource material isn't as vast as other members have--Tom

Very nice vertebrae

I cannot help with identification, but I like the photo assemblage :)

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

VERY nice collection of NSR verts! I believe Tony Eaton is probably right about the ID on many of those verts. It is very hard to tell the lamniform shark verts from one another. You pretty much have to know which species are the most dominant in the area you are collecting in and then sort of make some assumptions (unless you get really lucky and find associated teeth).

I have learned in recent years that shark verts from the genus, Ptychodus actually have lines running from the outer portion of the vert toward the center. Most other types of sharks only have the concentric lines.

Thanks for the info on the Ptychodus vert--Tom

"Don't Tread On Me"