My Collection Of Fossils From The Britton Formation Of North Texas

vertman

I mentioned in a prior post that a buddy of mine asked to come over to photo some of the things in my collection of fossils from the Upper Cretaceous aged, Eagle Ford Group, Britton Formation. I set many of the fossils out on a few tables for him to peruse. Since I had so many of them setting out all at the same time, I figured I may as well take a few photos and share the images here.

This is my favorite geological formation to collect in. The fossils shown in these posts represent almost a dozen years of collecting this formation probably 10-12 times a year.

Sorry there are so many images, but I hope folks enjoy seeing these things.

post-5008-0-82810000-1307235608_thumb.jpg

post-5008-0-55534000-1307235642_thumb.jpg

post-5008-0-03227600-1307235693_thumb.jpg

I dont think you would ever hear someone on this site complaing about "So many images" :P:P:P

Great finds, thanks for sharing!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

And here is the last set of images...

I can provide genus and species information on almost all of these fossils if anyone is interested.

Thanks for looking.

post-5008-0-79781500-1307238401_thumb.jpg

post-5008-0-82744300-1307238435_thumb.jpg

Thanks for showing your amazing collection. As Mike mentioned, there cannot be too many photos. All of your years of effort has really paid off though as this is obviously a very important fossil archive of the Eagle Ford/Britton Formation of Texas. The paleontology department at UO was gifted a few items recently so I have had the pleasure of appreciating some of this material in hand and with microscope.

Thanks again for posting Vertman! :)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thanks for showing your amazing collection. As Mike mentioned, there cannot be too many photos. All of your years of effort has really paid off though as this is obviously a very important fossil archive of the Eagle Ford/Britton Formation of Texas. The paleontology department at UO was gifted a few items recently so I have had the pleasure of appreciating some of this material in hand and with microscope.

Thanks again for posting Vertman! :)

Mine is probably not the largest or the best private collection of Britton material. I know of 3 other very good local collectors whose collections are as good as or better than mine. It is probably true that if you put the four of us together you could come up with a very comprehensive Britton faunal assemblage. Even with that, sometimes we run across a specimen totally unknown to us, such as the fine crab shown in the last set of images. Any idea what that guy is?

That is an impressive assemblage of Britton material!

The shark teeth are interesting and there are some beautiful specimens. It seems like Cretoxyrhina is the most common big shark (some with small cusplets), Squalicorax "falcatus" the most common smaller shark. Are some of those Leptostyrax or Protolamna or Cretodus (semiplicatus)? Looks like most Ptychodus are anonymus (some with tall crowns), with the last one occidentalis. Anything other Ptychodus turn up? Well,I'll study the pics some more, thanks for posting.

That is an impressive assemblage of Britton material!

The shark teeth are interesting and there are some beautiful specimens. It seems like Cretoxyrhina is the most common big shark (some with small cusplets), Squalicorax "falcatus" the most common smaller shark. Are some of those Leptostyrax or Protolamna or Cretodus (semiplicatus)? Looks like most Ptychodus are anonymus (some with tall crowns), with the last one occidentalis. Anything other Ptychodus turn up? Well,I'll study the pics some more, thanks for posting.

Tony, you are right pointing out the fact that some of the Cretoxyrhina have side cusplets. I think there is actually some debate currently ongoing about whether the ones with those cusplets are a different genus. I think the Squalicorax teeth belong the the curvatus species. I know falcatus is what we in north Texas tend to lump everything into, but I believe the thought on these guys is they are of the curvatus species. I do not believe any of these teeth belong to those 3 genera you mentioned. One of the drawers does contain a number of nice Cretolamna appendiculata. I believe virtually all of the Ptychodus are anonymous. I am not totally convinced that the P. occidentalis specimen actually came from the Britton. I need to take someone more knowledgable than myself out there to verify.

Did i see Polyptychodon from the Lower Britton??? Very nice, Richard. You are fortunate to have such good collecting within reasonable driving distance of home.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

WoW!!!! Vertman that is one awsome collection and a very interesting formation to collect, had the chance only one time. The ammonites from there are some of the nicest in Texas, thanks for sharing---really nice--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Great Collection... Thanks for sharing it :)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Wow! Great collection! Any idea how many there are?

I have not counted all of them, but I know there are about 350 crabs, close to 700 ammonites, and over 200 shark teeth.

Did i see Polyptychodon from the Lower Britton??? Very nice, Richard. You are fortunate to have such good collecting within reasonable driving distance of home.

Hey, Dan! Yes, you did indeed see Polyptychodon teeth. I have found 3 from the Lower Britton and 1 giant from the underlying Woodbine. I know I am very lucky to live in north Texas. There is a lot more competition up here as opposed to your area, but there are also a lot of places to look.

I have not counted all of them, but I know there are about 350 crabs, close to 700 ammonites, and over 200 shark teeth.

WOW, a lot. Thanks for sharing! :D