Triassic Ichnos

flyguy784

I've tried to avoid the Eastern Triassic Newark Group all my life. I'm a Coastal Plain, Gulf Coast and Mid-to Southwestern raised collector. A crack hammer was something only radicals used! Then I moved to Gettysburg and was invited across the line to a friend's farm outside Emmitsburg, and stumbled across the largest Late Triassic fossil site that has ever been found in Maryland in the process of exploring the area. Go figure. The rock gods sure do seem to have a sense of humor after all....Pass the crack hammer...

It's a most interesting pursuit Rick. Once you start, you can't go back. Lookin forward to crackin some rock with ya.

Nice finds John. Looks like you hit a dream spot. Thats my number one fossil Ive been looking for for years.

Definition of a fossil= Love at first site.

Wonderful tracks John! Congrats! You know how much i appreciate tracks. You got very very nice killer tracks there and a huge haul for a day of work!

I've tried to avoid the Eastern Triassic Newark Group all my life. I'm a Coastal Plain, Gulf Coast and Mid-to Southwestern raised collector. A crack hammer was something only radicals used!

It was just the opposite for me, growing up with Cambrian, Ordivican, and Devonian rocks. I had a hard time calling anything that didn't need a rock hammer a fossil. Now I really love the coastal plain stuff.

The first fossil I collected, from about 52 years ago, was a couple of perfect Cryptolithus trilobites from the Swatara Gap site.

As for your trackway in MD, well . . . I'm drooling.

How big an area do you estimate this track bearing layer to be?

Being somewhat new to the area, I'm yet to visit the Newark Supergroup but, apparently, I need to do some exploring in that area.

Being somewhat new to the area, I'm yet to visit the Newark Supergroup but, apparently, I need to do some exploring in that area.

Hey Yank,

We may have a new convert to the dark side! :P

muahh ha ha ha ha!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hey Yank,

We may have a new convert to the dark side! :P

muahh ha ha ha ha!

Regards,

Never hurts to have more eyes on the ground Tim. Lloyd, it's a most interesting period. Interesting and quite frustrating at times, alot of the time. Your not far from some area's.

Be careful, once you've gone to the dark side of the Newark supergroup, there is no turning back!! I got hooked 5 years ago still hasn't found the antidote.

great finds!!! Im going to a Newark site in NJ next week, hope I have has as much luck as you did :)