Austria Megalodon Model In Lintz Dentition Discussion

Megalodon_hunter

I know a little German. By no means an expert but a friend of mine was talking to me about hunting Megs in EU.

He has found a few 3-4 inch megs. He was excited about telling me about a recent Megalodon reconstruction in Austria.

_hnks_65058.jpg

Do you see something new here? I've been trying to track down the research bits and pieces for this but have had relatively no luck with my Deutsch skills.

Here are some good pics

http://www.naturfotoworkshop.at/artikeltippserfahrungsberichtefotoblog/fotoblog/files/91470e3878118dbf3af1aa7df345b411-31.html

Just wanted to see what others thought about the dentition of this 9 meter Megalodon.

Located at a muesuem in Lintz.

(cannot find it on their site)

http://www.landesmuseum.at/ueber/ausstellungen/sammlungspraesentation/event-detail/natur-oberoesterreich/

Edited by Megalodon_hunter

"One of these day's I'm going to find a tooth over 3inches."

Well I have a problem it doesnt seem to.have posterior teeth

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Well I have a problem it doesnt seem to.have posterior teeth

Yes I think I see one.

_hnks_65033_.jpg

I was wondering about that split in the middle of the lower jaw and the two small teeth there.

@Mike that was what I was wondering about. Wondered what the experts think about this.. Very interesting indeed.

I would assume those are supposed to be parasymphyseal positions. I have seen an Eocene Carcharocles parasymphyseal and there is another thread on the forum where a photo of a possible Oligocene parasymphyseal has been posted. I am not aware of a megalodon parasymphyseal ever being proposed much less shown. Someone must've wanted to account for that possibility.

I was wondering about that split in the middle of the lower jaw and the two small teeth there.

Hi,

I wouldn't want to say stupidities, I do not see very well on photos, but I have the impression that teeth were put back to front : the lingual face on the place of the labial face ! On shark jaws, arc of teeth turns inward of the mouth, not towards the outside. It seems to me that below on the right, we can see that the curvature of teeth goes towards the outside.

I have already seen a photo of a french reconstruction of a jaw where teeth had been put in the wrong direction...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Hi,

I wouldn't want to say stupidities, I do not see very well on photos, but I have the impression that teeth were put back to front : the lingual face on the place of the labial face ! On shark jaws, arc of teeth turns inward of the mouth, not towards the outside. It seems to me that below on the right, we can see that the curvature of teeth goes towards the outside.

I have already seen a photo of a french reconstruction of a jaw where teeth had been put in the wrong direction...

Coco

It also lacks all but one replacement teeth series :wacko: , but I like it ;)

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Hi,

Coco

The "display side" (for Megalodon teeth, the side with the bourelette) is not the labial side, it's the lingual side.

So, you are looking at these teeth as if you were inside the shark's mouth, not as if you were looking at the shark head on.

post-1261-0-33378100-1307610608_thumb.jpg

The model is actually on view in Linz, Austria. They speak German in Austria, but it is in fact a country of its own. The extension .at stands for .a(us)t(ria).

There is a small interview with the animal preparator responsible for this monster-size reconstruction, from which I can conclusivey summarize that the reconstruction is pretty much entirely based on extrapolation of the anatomy of a Great White shark.

I believe I have met the preparator a few years ago, and his field of specialty is actually reconstructions of Pleistocene terrestrial mammals.

I will try to contact him and ask how this dentition came into being, he may want to learn from your constructive criticism, if you are willing to lead him to a more accurate placement of the teeth?

Cheers,

Mark

@FrozenInTime Thanks.. When I have more time I will try to do more research online..

This is based on research from the Pisco Formation in Peru. That is the last bit of information I could gleam..

• 2 months later...

Hi folk, do you have any questions about the reconstructed megalodon dentition!? then write to w.kraus@pal.rwth-aachen.de and/or to lutzandre@yahoo.de

P.S.: they wrote a paper about the life-sized model: "Der Präparator"-magazine, issue 2009, with English abstract, with many pics and details, see: http://www.praeparation.de/zeitschrift/ausgaben/dp_2009