Oreodont Prep Notes

Diplotomodon

Hello all,

I've started on prepping an oreodont jaw (Merycoidodon culbertsoni) from the White River Badlands in South Dakota. When I bought it on June 5th it was less than a week out of the ground and fresh for some prepwork. B)

I've started clearing away some of the matrix using an X-acto knife, so it isn't very different from the "before" pics I post here. The dealer recommended doing the majority of the prep using engraving tools from places like Home Depot. Has anyone tried using these? And are they any good?

I'll keep you updated on progress. :)

post-5171-0-39490100-1307907899_thumb.jpg post-5171-0-88982000-1307908057_thumb.jpg

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

Another pic:

post-5171-0-59198500-1307908134_thumb.jpg

And a smaller, already prepped oreodont jaw fragment for comparison:

post-5171-0-79057200-1307908207_thumb.jpg

And here's the dealer's website if anyone's interested in fresh oreodonts: My link :)

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

I have had excellent success using the Dremel engraving tool for prepping fossils from the White River badlands. If you are careful, keep the engraving tool on a relatively low setting, and work slowly, almost all of the matrix will come loose from the bone. All of the prep work on the White River fossils in my gallery was done with a Dremel engraving tool. Be careful around the teeth.

-Joe

Edited by Fruitbat

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

I have had excellent success using the Dremel engraving tool for prepping fossils from the White River badlands. If you are careful, keep the engraving tool on a relatively low setting, and work slowly, almost all of the matrix will come loose from the bone. All of the prep work on the White River fossils in my gallery was done with a Dremel engraving tool. Be careful around the teeth.

-Joe

Thanks Joe :)

Would maybe something small and simple like a dental pick be better for those areas around the teeth? These are some pretty nice teeth and I don't want them to get damaged or anything.

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

I've used the Dremel engraver (on the lowest setting) all the way up to the teeth themselves and occasionally between the teeth to remove stubborn matrix. I usually use hand tools (X-Acto knife, dental picks, etc.) on the enamel itself but I've even used the Dremel on that when the matrix wouldn't come off any other way. The key word is CAREFUL and use the lowest setting that seems to work for you. Oh...a pair of earplugs come in handy too. Those little 'buzzers' can be LOUD!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

A few updates...we have the correct bit type for the Dremel now, and I might test it on a bit of old rock first, before I start messing with the oreodont in any way.

Oh yes, and I got earplugs too ;)

@Diplotomodon on Twitter