Recent Finds

Sharks of SC

Hello everyone!

I haven't posted in a while - it's been a busy month! I just finished unpacking from a recent move and found my camera chord, so I figure it's time to make a post from my last few hunts. I've only been out a few times, but I found some cool stuff including a few nice C. angustidens, I. hastalis, I. retroflexus, H. serra, assorted tigers, and other small species. My favorite finds are the super-sharp angy, the positional retro, a wildly patho. (two-tipped) Alopias latidens, and what I believe to be a 200 gram piece of rough amber!! This last find was the most intriguing - it's lightweight, floats in saltwater, is translucent...I don't know what else it could be.

Anyway...enjoy the pics and...

Happy hunting!!

CBK

Group haul -

post-2469-0-37708800-1308188397_thumb.jpg

Big angy -

post-2469-0-46873200-1308188415_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sharks of SC

Oops! forgot one!

Colorful makos & a great white/red -

post-2469-0-16765300-1308189039_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sharks of SC

Wow!

Great finds, CBK!:wub:

Thanks for sharing them!

The Angy is Sweet! :)

That Amber is cool! B)

Wow!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

cade that pristine tooth is one of the best I have ever seen as far as color goes, im very fond of white colored teeth they have a unique beauty to them. As far as the alopias sp. Teeth go i think the fat one is a posterior hastialis. The red amber? Looks

Like a partial mamoth tooth or maybe pet wood I would take more pictures so we can have a better idea to what that thing could be.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

CBK... Nice finds, thanks for sharing them... It does look like a mamoth tooth section but I would imagine one of those would be quite heavy being mineralised?...

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Definitely long time no see CBK. Great finds, that Angy is sweet!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Red amber (?) -

This may be amber (or copal). I've seen similar pieces that collectors have found on the beaches of North Carolina. Try the hot needle test on it. If it gives off a pleasant pine-like smell it most likely is some type of fossil plant resin.

Thanks everyone for your responses. The piece in question is very lightweight- it is neither bone nor tooth. I have found several pieces of (and held complete examples of) mammoth teeth, and while this may resemble one, it definitely isn't.

Al, I tried the needle test on the "amber" and it did smell faintly pine-y.

If this is amber, how scarce would a piece of this size be for this area? The most common examples I saw in my brief research suggest that amber is usually found in small quantities on the east coast of N. America.

Another possibility for the amber/copal- It might be a chunk of rosin. North and South Carolina produced a lot of turpentine, rosin, and pitch in the 1700s and 1800s from long leaf pine trees. It was exported all over the world. This, and the pieces that I mentioned from North Carolina, could be pieces of rosin that were lost in ship wrecks or other mishaps. See this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosin

The melting point of rosin is very low so this could be a method to rule it out.

Hey Cade, I just got all moved in here in Mt P in Rivertowne. I have yet to hit the edges at low tide but will soon.

That one path tooth is cool, looks like the pinchers on a beetle or something. Hey was you setting in to kayak by the bride at 41 over the Wando Thursday?

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

Nice haul you've got there :)

I admit that I first saw that amber as a tooth, but after reading the other thread and seeing the other pictures I'd agree that it's amber. Cool chunk!

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter