Oligocene Mixed Flora!

Sinopaleus

this thread is dedicated to scott, or piranha, for his great generosity in giving some of us a few pieces of self collected flora fossils. for those who have received some flora fossils from scott, please post them here! ^_^ please share some of your new additions with all of us! B)

thank you so much for your generosity scott! B)

here are mine. they just arrived today.

Little Butte Volcanic Series, 31.3 MYA Oligocene, Oregon

post-4996-0-18209400-1308227835_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-00409700-1308227868_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-06997900-1308227913_thumb.jpg

post-4996-0-51139200-1308227943_thumb.jpg

Nice additions to your collection Henry. And great recognition of Scott. It's the way he and others on here represent this forum that makes me pleased and proud to be a member.

Steve

Nice additions to your collection Henry. And great recognition of Scott. It's the way he and others on here represent this forum that makes me pleased and proud to be a member.

agreed ;)

That is a wonderful tribute to Scott and to his great generosity. Those are great flora specimens Henry. The real gems are hidden in the matrix.... look carefully under a magnifier and you may see insects remains that might have co-fossilized :)

Peter

That is a wonderful tribute to Scott and to his great generosity. Those are great flora specimens Henry. The real gems are hidden in the matrix.... look carefully under a magnifier and you may see insects remains that might have co-fossilized :)

Peter

:o :o i will search for the little hidden critters... thanks :)

thomas, why not post ur flora fossils here? :mellow:

I'd like to add a few of my favorite Oregonian fossils, my first fossil plants to boot, thanks to Scott!

First up is a terrific Alnus carpinoides cone! Followed by several other beautiful specimens with several sp that I will enjoy learning more about, as well as providing a fine permanent fall display of colors!

post-4577-0-65482500-1308522795_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-21558800-1308522931_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-37566200-1308522936_thumb.jpg

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

and lets not deny this little rascal his day, just cause he didnt make the first post!:)

post-4577-0-65629900-1308523051_thumb.jpg

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

I don't think I have ever seen such types of plants before. Beautiful photos and fossils!

and lets not deny this little rascal his day, just cause he didnt make the first post!:)

very nice carmine B) B) those are beautiful! :D

Those are great specimens Carm.... my package from Scott is still in transit as the Canada Post is still on strike....

Peter

Very interesting thread! It is nice to see some more plant fossil examples of the Oligocene of Oregon. I really love the Alnus carpinoides cone, fantastic specimen. as modern Alder cones (which we have in our garden, so I was able to dissect quite a few of them to see their inner-structure) look similar (which makes perfect sense of course, but I just like it very much! Haha). I think you should be able to get most specimens identified to generic level using guides for extant tree species, am I correct? Or would you need more specific literature? You will to get to species level of course, but most leaves I've seen displayed here so far do resemble extant forms...

Hope to see more!

Tim

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Henry, Steve, Carmine, Axelorox, Peter, Tim,

Thanks so much for this nice thread. How rewarding to know that the beautiful Oligocene flora from Oregon is being enjoyed by friends all around the world from China to Crete and everywhere in between. The greatest gift is sharing what is abundant with others. The friendships that are forged along the way are priceless. Hopefully the postal strike in Canada gets settled soon so the last of the plant packages will finally get delivered.

Thanks again guys! :):)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Henry, Steve, Carmine, Axelorox, Peter, Tim,

Thanks so much for this nice thread. How rewarding to know that the beautiful Oligocene flora from Oregon is being enjoyed by friends all around the world from China to Crete and everywhere in between. The greatest gift is sharing what is abundant with others. The friendships that are forged along the way are priceless. Hopefully the postal strike in Canada gets settled soon so the last of the plant packages will finally get delivered.

Thanks again guys! :):)

:D^_^

Edited by fossil maniac