Wa Fossil Collection

DLB

Those crabs are just a copy of a photograph from 15yrs ago. i was gathering the " kids" for a group shot for a Christmas card. i no longer have ANY of these crabs

I'm referring to the previous posts. Here's the next years Christmas card I made

Who would have known they come in so many colors

I've collected MUCH, and I still have much! I dont have much money so It takes a LOT of collecting to get the ones you want

Man that shur is the truth it never seems to end for me when it comes to collecting at least that's what I call it some my say it's a sickness that is also called hording LOL ! :) all I know is right when I get a new specimen another is just waiting to be found ;)

I know what you guys mean - so many fossils, so little money. I hear hoarding has been declared a mental illness, but I say doesn't count as hoarding if you maintain your collection reasonably well.. I have no empty wine bottles or dead cats among my stuff!

Just curious.. do many people buy the fossils they collect?. that would be really expensive from what I have seen of prices in rock shops etc. I have purchased a few and drooled on a few that I couldn't afford.. but mostly I look for free ones.

Just curious.. do many people buy the fossils they collect?. that would be really expensive from what I have seen of prices in rock shops etc. I have purchased a few and drooled on a few that I couldn't afford.. but mostly I look for free ones.

Speaking for myself, I've received a few as gifts over the years and recently traded for some. I don't think I've ever bought any for myself. I don't see anything wrong with purchasing a fossil. If I was a 'goozillionaire', I'd buy so many crab fossil the world over and make one heck of a collection....... just like MB's collection. ;)

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Me personally. I collect from areas I may never be able to get to collect such as other country's as well as places that may not be easily accessible such as Hell Creek for dino teeth! I believe that a good mix of bought , found and traded fossils in a collection to make a great collection. ;) PS life is short andd money shouldn't stop u from getting the fossil u want!

I'd prefer to find the free ones also, and most of my collection is self-found, but like DLB I'm not against buying though I can't afford the expensive ones so most of mine tend to be the cheaper items.. you have to sniff out the deals. (Trading is also rewarding). I've noticed that some Forum members have amazing collections that they could not possibly have self-collected very many of them, but I hate to think of what they paid! (Actually hate to think of the total I have paid over the years.. but hopefully they won't depreciate in future, in case I ever have to sell them off again)

I mean if the site where that particular fossil is found is depleted within my lifetime, the value could go up much faster than $1/million years. If the site keeps on producing and there are more of that kind of fossil coming onto the market all the time, faster than the population's demand for them, then it will depreciate. Anyway I'm not worried, I know I spent nothing but some energy collecting some of my nicest local specimens and these will probably go into a museum anyway, I'm not collecting to make a profit, it's just that if I am in a pinch (God forbid), I hope my non-museum stuff could bring me at least what I put out for them.

I haven't purchased much and when I think about why.... I can't come up with an answer.. mostly I can't afford the ones I would really like to have but I have purchased rocks (carvings that were in the $2000 range.. when I was making more money) that I had to have. I can't put a finger on why I am reluctant to purchase fossils.. I think I am going to try and get over it. I have a few cheap ammonites and 1 trilobite that I purchased but the total spent wasn't $50.00 and it bothered my conscience that I did that and I have no idea why. Problem is my collection will go to a museum too and Maybe that is what bothers my conscience..I don't mind contributing free ones but have a hangup about contributing purchased ones..I don't know...anyway.. ..I see lots of collections that have soooo many beautiful fossils and the only way I will hope to get one like some of them is to buy them. So I just have to get over that weird hangup..

Thanks for the comments guys..

Ed

Edited by Mr_ed

That's what I mean, I am not buying fossils just to contribute them to a museum, I am only planning to contribute self-found fossils that I think should be in a museum. The bought ones will most likely be resold someday. I can't travel around the world to collect so when I see for sale a fossil that interests me from a spot I have no hope of collecting, and the price is right, I will buy it. I would love to have more Ediacaran fossils and other soft-bodied items from Burgess-type localities but they are mostly way out of my budget. Oh well, there's still trilobites..

Anyway, I don't mean to derail the topic, please continue with the WA fossils if there are more, I am not far from Washington so it interests me!