Rockford, Il Quarries

Smokejaguar

• New Members

I wanted to see if anyone knows if any quarries are open in the Rockford, IL area for fossil collecting or if they are friendly to fossil collectors who show up at the gate. If none are open are there any roadcuts in the area where I won't get a ticket or towed for stopping?

I wanted to see if anyone knows if any quarries are open in the Rockford, IL area for fossil collecting or if they are friendly to fossil collectors who show up at the gate. If none are open are there any roadcuts in the area where I won't get a ticket or towed for stopping?

you need to get in touch with the Burpee museum in Rockford, as the quarries wont let you in unless you go through them. Plus they also have access to the closed quarries as well. Burpee holds field trips to some of the quarries annually. Also check the Illinois section for places around Rockford that anyone can access (roadcuts and such.)

• 1 month later...

you need to get in touch with the Burpee museum in Rockford, as the quarries wont let you in unless you go through them. Plus they also have access to the closed quarries as well. Burpee holds field trips to some of the quarries annually. Also check the Illinois section for places around Rockford that anyone can access (roadcuts and such.)

Correct. As an employee (now retired) of the Illinois Geoogical Survey we got access for research and leading public field trips. And Burpee does lead field programs you can join just like we did (but ours all over state -- See the Illinois Geological Survey page). Burpees at least more often in area. Road cuts on main highways might be problem as IDOT and State Police frown on collecting there unless you are part of state which we could do again. I would look at stream cuts, and county roads where the issues are not a problem. Around that area most road cuts are in Galena Formation and some overlying Ordovician units.

russ