Huge Megs (Maybe 7"?)

meg123

I found these photos a few days ago and every time I see them and can't get over how large these megs are. It looks like these teeth could be in the 7" range. What do you guys think? The website I got these photos from said that both teeth were from Peru, but it seems to me that only the one with the enamel peel is from Peru and the other looks Chilean. Are there megs that come from peru that look like Chilean megs?

Thanks

post-3633-0-80457400-1309380229_thumb.jpg

post-3633-0-92275500-1309380248_thumb.jpg

Big megs or small hands? that is always the question. From the looks this could a female hand, still the teeth are probably over 6.5". For me the one in the right picture has a really strong chilean look to it as well.

I Agree, the one on the right looks Chilean. But it all depends on the person's hand size. We could easily see the meg, and then hold up our hand and try to compare, but it all depends on the size of the person holding the tooth in the picture. All depends, but they are huge, one way or another. Does the site say they are 7" megs?

DO, or do not. There is no try.

I agree with the hands comment.

My biggest (and saddest meg) looked pretty massive to me in my youngest daughters hand.

post-986-0-15018300-1309384210_thumb.jpg

....still working on that dentition.

post-986-0-97014300-1309384257_thumb.jpg

:D

I agree with the hands comment.

My biggest (and saddest meg) looked pretty massive to me in my youngest daughters hand.

post-986-0-15018300-1309384210_thumb.jpg

....still working on that dentition.

post-986-0-97014300-1309384257_thumb.jpg

:D

Sorry Brad, I don't normally poke fun at other's fossils, but your Meg is the saddest looking thing I've ever seen :(

To make things worse, I not only laughed at the toothless Jaw, but laughed harder when I realized you placed your Meg in the jaw....it looks oh so lonely....

I really hope you find a nicer one...and soon!

Daryl.

an edentulous meg jaws!

<article/noun agreement error, minus 2 points>

(p.s. - just grading my verbalizations to avoid grading that meg tooth. carry on.)

i dont know bout the teeth, that hand in pic 2 looks distorted/stretched tho

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

The tooth on the left is 6 3/4 inches. Oddly enough, a buddy of mine sent me pics of that tooth a couple of days ago lamenting that he missed a chance at buying it.

Brad, you definitely need to come out hunting when I am on R&R, we both need a meg tooth for our collections!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

The photo of the Chile meg on the right is taken from an ebay listing of Megaloteeth who used to load about a dozen Chile teeth every week. Its real. I dont remember a 7 incher but 6 - 6 1/2 " were listed almost every week.

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

The photo of the Chile meg on the right is taken from an ebay listing of Megaloteeth who used to load about a dozen Chile teeth every week. Its real. I dont remember a 7 incher but 6 - 6 1/2 " were listed almost every week.

that guy also listed several 7 incher, but most of them had some parts of repair or even restoration (root lobe restoration, which makes things worse)

that guy also listed several 7 incher, but most of them had some parts of repair or even restoration (root lobe restoration, which makes things worse)

Mexx... Yes thats true a good percentage of the Chile teeth had some form of repair that was identified by the seller but I never felt any of the repairs were not proportionate with the actual tooth itself... I spent many hours up late putting last minute bids in, trying to win one in matrix (and eventually did lol) so I did get to see a lot of this material and you begin to appreciate that with these fossils preserved in hard rock layers where the matrix clings to the fossil, percentage wise you will get quite frequent damage to the corners and tips of the teeth... Maybe with teeth collected from soft sediments almost everyone will be of a reasonable quality... So I kinda made allowance for that when I looked at them for sale...

I spent many hours up late putting last minute bids in, trying to win one in matrix (and eventually did lol)

can you post a picture?...:-)

I Agree, the one on the right looks Chilean. But it all depends on the person's hand size. We could easily see the meg, and then hold up our hand and try to compare, but it all depends on the size of the person holding the tooth in the picture. All depends, but they are huge, one way or another. Does the site say they are 7" megs?

No, the site did not say anything about them being over 7".

Mexx... I'm not on my own pc at the moment to access my photo's so heres a link to a post on TFF that should hopefully work where I have posted it previously...

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/topic/12293-fossil-shark-teeth-post-pics-of-your-favorites/page__st__20__p__141650__hl__%2Bchile+%2Bteeth+%2Bmatrix__fromsearch__1#entry141650

If for any reason the link doesnt work try searching the thread on TFF...

Ah yes, I remember seeing that one. Truly a nice tooth, especially the color and symmetry.

thanks for posting the link!