Recycle Program

Sharkbyte

Apparently the Governments recycle program is nothing new. This group of Turritella or Auger Snail shells demonstrates that nicely. Would it have been possible for the coral to cover this Turritella while it was alive because I notice that it did not grow over the opening? My guess would be no.

post-6069-0-47525100-1309479663_thumb.jpg

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Apparently the Governments recycle program is nothing new. This group of Turritella or Auger Snail shells demonstrates that nicely. Would it have been possible for the coral to cover this Turritella while it was alive because I notice that it did not grow over the opening? My guess would be no.

Very interesting piece. Are those North Carolina finds?

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Hello Mike,

Yes, these shells came out of Lumberton.

That's a wonderful piece; two fossils with a dash of ichno. Love it!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's a wonderful piece; two fossils with a dash of ichno. Love it!

Thats pretty cool though. I would have never even noticed it. What age are those shells coming out of? I have found Turitella coming out of Paleocene deposits before up in Virginia/Maryland. But thats about all my experience with those.

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Would it have been possible for the coral to cover this Turritella while it was alive because I notice that it did not grow over the opening? My guess would be no.

This is most likely a shell that was occupied by a hermit crab. There are examples of bryozoans, hydrozoans, and like this example, corals encrusting shells occupied by hermit crabs. The advantage to the crab is the encrusting organism continues to grow as the crab grows so the crab doesn't need to find larger shells to live in. This coral is probably Septastrea. Here is a reference to Sepastrea and hermit crab fossils:

DARRELL, J. G., AND P. D. TAYLOR. 1989. Scleractinian symbionts of

hermit crabs in the Pliocene of Florida. Memoir of the Association of

Australasian Palaeontologists, 8:115–123.

Hello,

Thank you very much for some really intersting and helpful information. I enjoyed reading it.

Bobby

This is most likely a shell that was occupied by a hermit crab. There are examples of bryozoans, hydrozoans, and like this example, corals encrusting shells occupied by hermit crabs. The advantage to the crab is the encrusting organism continues to grow as the crab grows so the crab doesn't need to find larger shells to live in. This coral is probably Septastrea. Here is a reference to Sepastrea and hermit crab fossils:

DARRELL, J. G., AND P. D. TAYLOR. 1989. Scleractinian symbionts of

hermit crabs in the Pliocene of Florida. Memoir of the Association of

Australasian Palaeontologists, 8:115–123.