New Finds From Turbotville

sue in ohio

I went back to my favorite hunting grounds and they sure didn't disappoint me..I'm the proud new owner of "Rudolph the red-nose Trilobite", lol...he's so dang cute!!! This first 6 pics were from the last time I was there and never got them posted. Usually I find bodies with no heads but this time I found the head with no body..but later I did find the rest of his squished body, luckily the head was in great shape other than the damage to the tip of his face which makes him such a cutie!!!

post-1375-0-91445800-1309669485_thumb.jpg post-1375-0-26110700-1309669531_thumb.jpg

post-1375-0-21642800-1309669591_thumb.jpg post-1375-0-70263000-1309669750_thumb.jpg

post-1375-0-49905900-1309669821_thumb.jpg post-1375-0-89659400-1309670123_thumb.jpg

post-1375-0-95259600-1309670169_thumb.jpg post-1375-0-29591200-1309670199_thumb.jpg

post-1375-0-13080600-1309670321_thumb.jpg post-1375-0-38561600-1309670351_thumb.jpg

post-1375-0-11430700-1309670407_thumb.jpg

Edited by sue in pa

I'm sorry for the fuzzy pics..my other camera took much better, clearer shots. His head, his eyes have amazing details to them but it doesn't show through in the pics unfortunately. When I first dug him up, the damaged part was grey like the rest of the head but after being exposed to the air for awhile, it started turning pinkish then to the vivid color it is now..I just love his bright little red nose :wub::wub::wub:

Sounds like some Hematite under the shell if it started grey and went red. Very nice that the site is still producing despite the low amount of weathering it gets.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Nice!

Cool finds!

I like Ruldolph too! ;)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That's super cool. Pretty much what I've been looking for. I think I found a slab yesterday that has three partial trilo molds to...

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Oh Dave you should see what they did to this site, the one off a certain road..they ruined it. They went in with heavy machinery and busted down the various levels that was once there, hauled an anormous amount of it away and what's left is slim pickins. The first level is totally gone, there a small portion of the second level but it's been moved back many, many feet from the origional shelf and the top level..well, there really isn't a top level any longer. There's a huge pile of boulders and rocks at the base now but most of it is barren of any fossil remains other than the abundant coral here and there..they hauled the good stuff away that was part of the Mahantango formation...so heartbreaking, I loved going to this location.

:shake head: :notfair: :shake head:

Is this a Phacops Rana with the little red nose?

Edited by sue in pa

Nice finds Sue, congrats.

Awwwwwww, thank you Roman, that means alot coming from you..I'm probably your biggest FF fan, I so look forward to reading your posts and being in awe over your specimen finds from over there.

Is this a Phacops Rana with the little red nose?

Looks like it. "Phacops" rana is now "Eldredgeops" rana, by the way. Much more euphonious,don't you think? Sweet find, I do love them trilobites.

Don

Thank you Don for the ID..they changed Phacops to Eldredgeops huh..I really need to start learning the correct genus and classifications of fossils..just so glad no one is around to hear me sounding them out trying to say the correct pronounciations but tying to absorb classifications, ie..Kingdom, Phylum, Classes, Order, Family, Genus, Species makes my head spin..then theres all the divisions of subphyla, subclasses, superorders as well as subgenera, subspecies, races and varieties, on and on and on...ughhhhh, I don't know if I have enough brain cells left in there to hold all of that let alone process it all that when I'm in the field and I look at a newly found fossil I can say that's a ............., lol.

Thank you Don for the ID..they changed Phacops to Eldredgeops huh..I really need to start learning the correct genus and classifications of fossils..just so glad no one is around to hear me sounding them out trying to say the correct pronounciations but tying to absorb classifications, ie..Kingdom, Phylum, Classes, Order, Family, Genus, Species makes my head spin..then theres all the divisions of subphyla, subclasses, superorders as well as subgenera, subspecies, races and varieties, on and on and on...ughhhhh, I don't know if I have enough brain cells left in there to hold all of that let alone process it all that when I'm in the field and I look at a newly found fossil I can say that's a ............., lol.

My sympathies, Sue. And once you've learned at least something about the fauna in the layers that interest you then some smarthead comes along the next year, changes it all around again and doesn't tell anybody about it. :P

Main thing is, you made some nice finds, whatever they may be called in the end. ;)

All the best, Roger

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Looks like it. "Phacops" rana is now "Eldredgeops" rana, by the way. Much more euphonious,don't you think? Sweet find, I do love them trilobites.

Don

I still have not found any paper that states the name change and reasoning. If you know of such a paper, please let me know. Until then PaleoDB.org still lists it and I'm not changing my labels! :P :P :P

Edited by Shamalama

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I think that may be the cutest fossil I've ever seen! I love his little nose!! :wub: :wub: :wub: Awesome find.

Edited by Little_Foot

Бо́гу моли́сь, а добра́-ума́ держи́сь.

• 2 years later...