Hunting In Central Illinois

Fossilmom2

Hi All! I'm heading home to Quincy Illinois in July. I started my interest in fossils when I moved to Virginia. Now that I'm heading home for a visit, I need help! Is there anything to find in Central Illinois? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I grew up in that area and other than some crinoid stems and such that is all I recall seeing as a kid. I'm sure there is more.

• 1 month later...

Although late now (its August) the road cuts around Quincy have Mississippian strata exposed. Besides crystal bugs, you can find crinoid parts, some calyces, brachiopods and corals around the quincy area. In eastern part of county there are geode locations, and in the same formation (Warsaw) nice crinoids can sometimes be found if you can find a place to get access. Nothing on road cuts or such usually streams which I used to walk when I worked for the Illinois Geological Survey from 1973-2007. Lots of good fossils in and around there if you can get to streams or abandoned quarries on private land (if you know landowner or get permission. As you go east on i-72 (SE of Quicy) there are lots of quarries in same stuff found in road cuts (Mississippian, Burlington-Keokuk Formations) again crinoid, brachiopod, coral fossils are abundant, even some rare whole crinoids or more commonly the calyx of the crinoid without arms (lots of pieces of crinoids of course stems and such).

russ