Perhaps Llama Jaw W/ Teeth?

Hemi-God

Here's a jaw fragment with some teeth. Found this almost two years ago in the Peace River near Arcadia. From the slight amount of research I attempted, I've concluded that it's from a Llama. Is my conclusion correct? Thank you.

post-3390-0-14510000-1310159405_thumb.jpg

post-3390-0-51147000-1310159407_thumb.jpg

post-3390-0-81668600-1310159410_thumb.jpg

post-3390-0-46592100-1310159413_thumb.jpg

post-3390-0-75502500-1310159415_thumb.jpg

*NOT an expert.
I haven't a clue what I'm doing.
But I'm loving every minute of it.

It's very difficult to differentiate between llama and camel on river polished specimens like yours. I would label it as Hemiauchenia or Palaeolama.

very cool display piece. i'd tend to agree with prehistoricflorida that it's hard to differentiate between camelids. you've probably already looked at this, but just in case...

this

I agree with Nate; this is a camelid jaw.

The two camelids of the Florida Pleistocene, Palaeolama and Hemiauchenia, are both llamas (Tribe LAMINI).

I don't think this specimen is a deer (relying on the ruler for scale); these teeth are too large to be from a Pleistocene deer.

post-42-0-22014100-1310164168_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thanks for the feedback yall. I hoped I wouldn't miss the mark on this ID as I have done in the past on other items I've posted. (A big 'phewww' on that one) :phew:

I'm accquiring more resources to help me research my collection and I really appreciate the links and visuals that many members share. Not to mention the experience and hands on knowledge that many members have and are so willing to contribute to members like myself. (Struggling to overcome the 'Novice' label)

Thanks for all the comments and input.

'Viva the Fossil Forum'

*NOT an expert.

Thanks for sharing. It is a great display piece. Any jaw section with intact teeth is very special and this one looks pristine.

I am hoping there are more out there -- just like it. Whenever the summer rains let me back into the river. SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I was out there this morning. I gave up after a few hours though. Water was too high to get any depth to my holes. Too dark to see if anything was laying about the bottom. And too swift, as I lost (and found) my shovel a few times.

Lucky for me I only walked about a mile from the ramp this time. After fighting the current for a couple of hours, I was in no condition to walk all the ways back without a couple of breaks. Here it is 11:30 in the morning and I'm beat.

I'm glad I left the canoe at home. I'd of never gotten that big beast back to the ramp. :fainting-smiley:

Edited by Hemi-God

*NOT an expert.

Hemi-god,

Thank you!! Thanks you!!!

I have been kicking myself most of the morning for not getting out there Hell or High water.. I could have done EXACTLY what you attempted ---

I do not make all that many good decisions, but maybe this was one. If I had gone, I would have gone downstream of the bridge as the only possible location.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"