Sharktooth Hill Sample Collection

FossilForKids

The meg, which is missing a root lobe, that I have sitting on that piece was from the other half of the concretion. That was a good day at slow curve :-)

Good day for sure

I like slow curve. I have a lot of nice colorful teeth from there. All from attending the museum digs. The one over 3" mako I have was found there too.

Don't feel bad, John. Pelagiarctos is one of those incredibly rare finds. Bob found just a few teeth of that.

I heard that LA County has a skull from an Orange County site.

I found more hemi's across the river than on Bob's land. 1 broken Paratodus in 7 years of digging. All 4 of my 3 inchers where from Bob's land including one from the snake pit. I have found 8 complete megs in 7 years. 4 from across the river (2 firezone) and 3 from Bob's land. 1 Baby desmo, 2 large partials 4 lobes each and the nice complete worn one plus the incisor all from Bob's land. My best find was the discovery of a mosty complete juvenile Baleen on what is now Lisa's quarry. That was right after Bob had the excavator came through. I think Bob gave that to some museum in Southern California. I never found anything from the dentition of a Thomasi :-(

Yes, that's a Palaeoparadoxia. That's a very rare find. Bob didn't find many of those in the STH Bonebed. He found only a few at the Coalinga site where the Desmostylus is very common - site no longer productive and I think off-limits now.

That's why I think luck plays a part in what you find. You beat the odds by finding a parotodus before a less rare meg. Here is the photo below of the tooth I think is from Paleoparadoxia. Let me know what you think

Thanks, Lisa

Yes, that's a Palaeoparadoxia. That's a very rare find. Bob didn't find many of those in the STH Bonebed. He found only a few at the Coalinga site where the Desmostylus is very common - site no longer productive and I think off-limits now.

Wow! That makes my day. :D When I first found it I thought it was a desmostylus tooth, till I checked out the ones at the BVM museum and thought there was a possibility it could be paleoparadoxia. I heard Bob had a small collection of

them too. Well I found one tooth..what do you think my chances are finding the rest of it :rolleyes: Lisa

If you find all the rest of them......I have dibbs on one! :P

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

Yeah but I've been with you twice when you've found megs!! Once at slow curve and again at the west quarry!

I think West Quarry is providing an abundance of Makos, but few Megs. Slow Curve is yielding he Megs (three on our dig weekend in

June). I think the stark difference is due to the different formations - Dolphin/Whale vs. Sharktooth Hill.

Hi John, nice collection and variety! We never were able to make it down there when we were in NorCal decades ago--certainly missed something good. I especially like the items still in matrix! Thanks for sharing! Regards, Chris

I think West Quarry is providing an abundance of Makos, but few Megs. Slow Curve is yielding he Megs (three on our dig weekend in

June). I think the stark difference is due to the different formations - Dolphin/Whale vs. Sharktooth Hill.

One quarry that seem to have a higher ratio for it's size was the snake pit. The only problem is the digging is soooooo hard there. I found a pure chocolate brown one in a concretion and when the pressure was removed it literally exploded! I have also found all my Cowshark teeth, over 10, at the west quarry, plus 5 from across the river. Interesting!

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!