No Way! What I Found While Looking Through Bags.

bmorefossil

well i was going through bags last night and i couldnt believe my eyes when i pulled a meg out of the bag and noticed it had been worked into a spear point! I am so happy i noticed what i unfourtuantely missed before, its now sitting dead center of my artifact case, i also found some paleocene bones that interested me, a few odd looking bones that i cant find a name for and some really nice teeth and such. What a way to start the day.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

well i was going through bags last night and i couldnt believe my eyes when i pulled a meg out of the bag and noticed it had been worked into a spear point! I am so happy i noticed what i unfourtuantely missed before, its now sitting dead center of my artifact case, i also found some paleocene bones that interested me, a few odd looking bones that i cant find a name for and some really nice teeth and such. What a way to start the day.

Were the bags stuff you found and then put in there or did you acquire them somewhere? No pics?

Were the bags stuff you found and then put in there or did you acquire them somewhere? No pics?

Just stuff i found from various beaches

At our non stress test right now guys hope you can bear waiting a little bit, just wanted to get it out before i exploded! Haha :P

Some of the bones i will be actually posting in the id section so i may get a positive id.

Thanks

Edited by bmorefossil
gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

they chipped off almost all the root and some of the crown basicly making it square and they shaved that down so they can attach it to a spear or whatever they wanted

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Just stuff i found from various beaches

At our non stress test right now guys hope you can bear waiting a little bit....

Thanks

Steve, being at an OB appointment with the expecting wife is about the only good excuse we'll accept for not posting a pic after wetting our appetites with you tantalizing Meg-artifact story. Don't go to that well to often though else we'll stat needing Sonogram pics as proof of these appointments - lol!

Daryl.

Steve, being at an OB appointment with the expecting wife is about the only good excuse we'll accept for not posting a pic after wetting our appetites with you tantalizing Meg-artifact story. Don't go to that well to often though else we'll stat needing Sonogram pics as proof of these appointments - lol!

Daryl.

haha! here are the pics sorry for the wait guys.

the last photo shows the marks all along the enamel where something struck the tooth.

post-1554-0-11989300-1310734834_thumb.jpg

post-1554-0-67623200-1310734840_thumb.jpg

post-1554-0-07249300-1310734847_thumb.jpg

Edited by bmorefossil
gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Wow, that first pic really shows the orthogonal notch(s), especially on the left side in the pic. Now if the tip only had a blood stain on it that would be really neat.

BTW, I think you need to put something on your left thumb/fingernail area...looks nasty. Typical guy, the last thing we care about is how our fingers look.

Daryl.

heres the latest sonogram pic of my little girl! hope you can make out what everything is

post-1554-0-00189300-1310736821_thumb.jpg

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Wow, that first pic really shows the orthogonal notch(s), especially on the left side in the pic. Now if the tip only had a blood stain on it that would be really neat.

BTW, I think you need to put something on your left thumb/fingernail area...looks nasty. Typical guy, the last thing we care about is how our fingers look.

Daryl.

hey i sure cant mistake it for anyone elses thumb

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Congrats Bmore. You brought back some great memories. My little girl will be graduating Penn State next year. You're in for a wonderful experience. Take her fishing, fossiling, catching toads and salamanders. Let her get some dirt under her nails, then tell her she's the most beautiful young lady you've ever seen. Make everything she thinks is important to her, equaly important to you. CAUTION! wait till she's 14, oh man, those years were tuff. We got thru it though. She's one of the joys of my life, my son is the other. Enjoy it all. Take lots of pics, you'll be sorry if you only have several thousand. Congrats bud.

Hate to bust your bubble, but this is a fragmentary tooth. I've seen many broken sharks teeth that the owner claimed was "worked", very few actually are. The definitively worked examples I've seen are heavily ground to thin the tooth and have the root lobes ground off as well. I don't see anything that points toward your tooth being worked other than the shape.

Edited by PrehistoricFlorida

Hate to bust your bubble, but this is a fragmentary tooth. I've seen many broken sharks teeth that the owner claimed was "worked", very few actually are. The definitively worked examples I've seen are heavily ground to thin the tooth and have the root lobes ground off as well. I don't see anything that points toward your tooth being worked other than the shape.

I was kinda thinking that too. Looks like a broken tooth to me. But then again I don't know!

I was kinda thinking that too. Looks like a broken tooth to me. But then again I don't know!

i would think that if it was just broken on the sides but when the front of the tooth has been worn down extremely flat as to where the shaft would fit......it got me thinking. then the scratches on the enamel and jagged along the broken edges as if it was hit multiple times. either way its going to sit in there

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

I just came across this and thought the same - it's almost certainly just a broken meg. I've seen dozens that broke like that, and I can't see any marks that show working.

Congratulations all the way around bmorefossil, flyguy784 gave you some great advice. Best things that ever happened to me are my Wife and Kids. Now my Son is grown up and gone off to college and I can't find enough time with him to compensate for when he is away and my Daughter is not too many years from leaving for college. As for the artifact/fossil keep it in the artifact frame as I think it is very probable. It would be hard to work the enamel and the root and core of the tooth would not flake like stone. I agree that it would have been ground down (if it were finished) but I think it was a "Work in progress" that was not completed for whatever reason. Hard to say for sure but in one of your pictures it does sort of look like a little bit of the grinding down process might have been started. I can see where the straigness of the tooth as well as it's narrow profile and overall size would have been desierable for converting it to a point. I'm with you on this one.

Edited by Sharkbyte

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Im not sure about this. I have seen many broken teeth like that. And teeth an be broken naturally or mechanically the same way. The scratches could just be hydration marks. If it was a reworked artifact, wouldtn it show some usage, those serrations look to perfect to me to show wear and tear.

Just a thought anyways.

DO, or do not. There is no try.

I would think they would use them though. I mean it is already in the correct shape more or less.

I would think they would use them though. I mean it is already in the correct shape more or less.

Too fragile for anything more than decorative use.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You could always take it down to the Jefferson Patterson Park Museum and let them take a look. They speciallize in artifacts from Md.

My link

Edited by obsessed1

Too fragile for anything more than decorative use.

Yeah that's probably true. I did use a broken great white blade once to see if it would cut like a serrated knife. Actually worked pretty well.