Peccary, Pig, Or Boar?

Sharks of SC

Hey guys and gals,

Found this jaw with teeth on the beach yesterday. It's nearly six inches long, has four teeth showing, one of which has not erupted, and a tusk that hasn't erupted. It feels mineralized, but is still a little too wet to do the burn test. What do you think?

post-2469-0-54943700-1311088804_thumb.jpgpost-2469-0-76664800-1311088814_thumb.jpgpost-2469-0-29771100-1311088823_thumb.jpg

Not peccary but dude that is such a sweet find congrats, ill take some pics so you can compare just in case. The teeth appear mineralized so i doubt its recent

Edited by bmorefossil
gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Looks to me to be a domestic pig.

The adjacent teeth of starkly different colors is unusual.

I have a few reasons for that, teeth are not dry yet and some of the teeth may have been exposed longer

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

100% pig. Regardless of whether it passes the burn test or not, this is a species that was brought over by the Europeans.

Edited by PrehistoricFlorida

the issue with the teeth being different colors seems to me like it would be related to the fact that the teeth have enamel worn through to different degrees. i think the "sealed off" environment inside teeth with intact enamel may facilitate more anaerobic bacterial action and precipitation of different mineral of a different color.

it's a theory.

not sure if it's a good theory, but it's the only one i have so i'm sticking with it.

Hi,

I think it is pig. This jaw is interesting because it has 2 used teeth, + 1 new (+ 1 going out ?). And colours are cool.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 3 years later...

The tooth in the middle is characteristic of a wild boar. On a domestic pig jaw the tooth would have two not three rows of crests. Pigs are not native to North America, even wild boars. The jaw is of historical origin.

jp, that is a deciduous 4th lower premolar (which mimics the appearance of the adult m3). Both the wild boar and the domestic pig (which are the same species) have such a dp4.

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".