Reporting Finds To University Of Florida

florida_fossils

Thanks for reading. I am coming up on my first year of fossil collecting, and as such need to submit my list of finds to the University of Florida. I was wondering if anyone had a better way of doing this.

My problem is that I have done my best to ID most of the material, but still have holes. And for that matter do not want to miss something that may be of importance to the group at the University by misidentifying it.

Since I host websites, I can easily install a "Coppermine" type gallery to my website and post the material there. Would that even be acceptable? The benefit would be submitting detailed pictures, and having the ability to comment on them for classification.

I do realize this would be a question best suited for the team at UofF but thought I would start here. In other words, waste your valuable time first. :)

This is an example of the type of gallery I am speaking of. This would also be submitted with the standard hand written list as well.

Thanks,

Trent

Simplicity is not the goal. It is the by-product of a good idea and modest expectations.

Paul Rand

I'm pretty sure a written list, even a flawed one, is going to be just about all they can deal with. If you think something unidentified might have a chance to be really interesting to them, enclose a photo.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for the input Auspex!

Simplicity is not the goal. It is the by-product of a good idea and modest expectations.

Paul Rand

I'm pretty sure a written list, even a flawed one, is going to be just about all they can deal with. If you think something unidentified might have a chance to be really interesting to them, enclose a photo.

I agree.

Why do you feel you have to report your finds?

Be true to the reality you create.

Why do you feel you have to report your finds?

Curious about this as well. Is it required? <_<

Curious about this as well. Is it required? <_<

In Florida it is. I don't know about the others.

Paul Rand

In Florida it is. I don't know about the others.

Interesting. Glad we don't have anything like that here.

Interesting. Glad we don't have anything like that here.

This pertains to the collection of vertebrate fossils from state lands, and I think it is a far better scenario than simply banning their collection all together!

What is the law in NC regarding collecting on state lands?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This pertains to the collection of vertebrate fossils from state lands, and I think it is a far better scenario than simply banning their collection all together!

What is the law in NC regarding collecting on state lands?

I think it is a better scenario as well. I don't think collection is allowed on state lands here. So I see where you're going with this. At least FL collectors can collect there even if they have to report their finds. Initially it just sounded like the government getting their hands into something else. I tend to speak too soon.

Edited by RickNC