Alaska Chickaloon Flora

piranha

Here is another nice plant fossil that I recently added to the collection. It is a large slab of early Eocene flora from the Matanuska Valley of south-central Alaska. Up until now I only had one small example of Metasequoia from the Chickaloon Formation. There are nine different taxa represented on this matrix (front & back). If anyone is interested please send me a PM with email address and I will forward the abstract and 39 plates from the most recent paper of 2011 that I could source on the subject.

Chuckanut and Chickaloon fossils back to back? Now I need one from Chumstick too! :wacko::o:P

post-4301-0-00596300-1311306636_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Beautiful piece! I'd like to see more Alaskan fossils. Last time I was up, I noticed an ad for fossil hunting flights, but I went halibut fishing instead.

Scott... Thats a very nicely populated piece... It gives it great asthetics...its like a piece of natural art... Good Stuff ;)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Scott,

That is one pretty slab! :wub:
Nice acquisition!
Congratulations, ... and thank you, for posting that beauty! :)
Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Gorgeous! Congratulations :Thumbs Up:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very nice fossil plate Scott. Great assortment of plants all on one plate and the preservation is super!

PL

It's like one-stop-shopping in a fossil.. Beautiful piece, Scott..

Welcome to the forum!

Yep Scott that's a real nice little window in time!

I'll have to go do some real reading but I saw mentioned a coal section in the Chickaloon Fm. I had forgotten about/dont really think about coal much in terms of Eocene/Paleocene age rocks and what type of plant material masses must have been accumulated/deposited....Definitely aint the worldwide piles of lycopod and other extinct plant material from the coal beds of the Carboniferous.......

Thanks for sharing such a fine plate. Regards, Chris

Here is another nice plant fossil that I recently added to the collection. It is a large slab of early Eocene flora from the Matanuska Valley of south-central Alaska. Up until now I only had one small example of Metasequoia from the Chickaloon Formation. There are nine different taxa represented on this matrix (front & back). If anyone is interested please send me a PM with email address and I will forward the abstract and 39 plates from the most recent paper of 2011 that I could source on the subject.

Chuckanut and Chickaloon fossils back to back? Now I need one from Chumstick too! :wacko::o:P

post-4301-0-00596300-1311306636_thumb.jpg

Fabulous, Scott, as usual :wub: :wub: :wub:

Congratulations :goodjob:

Astrinos P. Damianakis

I'm from Wa and those deffently Look like chuckanut amazing how deposits so fare away look so simaler the one leaf gas some nice bug damage! Really nice peace thanks for shareing !

Who makes up the incredibly funny Formation names on your side of the big pond? Haha...

Searching for green in the dark grey.