Mesozoic Oregon Flora

piranha

Among the abundant Cenozoic floras of Oregon there are a few Mesozoic localities. The topic has been debated for decades exactly where the Jurassic-Cretaceous boundaries exist in a few formations in south-west Oregon. I hope to better understand these stratigraphic relationships as I become more familiar with the plants and formations later this year. For now here is a preview of early Cretaceous(?) flora classified from Frank Hall Knowlton's classic work; Jurassic Floras of Oregon (1905). Included is a section on Jurassic-Cretaceous plants but the bulk of the monograph is described as Jurassic. A few Oregon paleontologists have questioned this over the years so it will be challenging to follow the trail as these floras are relatively remote and very difficult to collect. With luck there will be many more taxa added as the season progresses.

Enjoy! :)

Polypodium oregonense

post-4301-0-21080900-1311473481_thumb.jpg

1.) Dicksonia oregonensis

2.) Zamites cf. buchianus

3.) Cladophlebis vaccensis

4.) Ginkgo digitata

post-4301-0-97891400-1311473490_thumb.jpg

Edited by piranha

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Oregon is not the only place where the base of the Cretaceous is not well determined (ala Jehol Group, Liaoning, China). Besides enjoying your beautiful specimens, I look forward to the quest for a stratigraphic education!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Scott, Ok, I'm a hurtin from viewing these and I give and will sit back down now. It's so painfully nice to get yet another fix of another ginkgo! I know you all are saying to yourself, he's nuts. Yep its ok, have acknowledged that before--but, there's simply something about that goofy genus! Hooray! Hip, Hip Hooray!

Oh, before I get ahead of myself, the others aren't too shabby either! Thanks for showing all of these fine examples! Regards, Chris

Among the abundant Cenozoic floras of Oregon there are a few Mesozoic localities. The topic has been debated for decades exactly where the Jurassic-Cretaceous boundaries exist in a few formations in south-west Oregon. I hope to better understand these stratigraphic relationships as I become more familiar with the plants and formations later this year. For now here is a preview of early Cretaceous(?) flora classified from Frank Hall Knowlton's classic work; Jurassic Floras of Oregon (1905). Included is a section on Jurassic-Cretaceous plants but the bulk of the monograph is described as Jurassic. A few Oregon paleontologists have questioned this over the years so it will be challenging to follow the trail as these floras are relatively remote and very difficult to collect. With luck there will be many more taxa added as the season progresses.

Polypodium oregonense

4.) Ginkgo digitata

Fascinating, Scott :wub: :wub:

The season belongs to you and (thanks to you) to Oregon, as well :)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Are most of these species specific for the Oregon localities or do they have larger provenances?

Nice specimens, as always!

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Thanks Bob for posting the link to the Knowlton paper on the Mesozoic floras of Oregon. If anyone is interested please follow the link to a separate paper with the photo plates of the described plants. Even though the monograph is over 100 years old it remains to this day the most comprehensive scholarship on the subject.

LINK

Tim, clearly these plants represent a much larger provenance extending well beyond Oregon. The specific names are simply based on a type locality in most cases. Many of these would likely be synonymized with others but that would be an enormous project. No small wonder that the original work continues to stand the test of time.

Btw, thanks for all of the nice comments at the other fossil flora threads! :)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Polypodium oregonense

4.) Ginkgo digitata

Very nice Scott!.... Ginkgo is interesting to look at ....

PL