Woolly Rhino Bones

LordTrilobite

Over the years I've been collecting Woolly Rhino (Coelodonta antiquitatis) bones and slowly but surely I'm putting together a nice composition. So I thought it would be nice to share a picture.

None of these are from the same individual since they are from the North Sea. But most of the bones fit together quite nicely.

By now I have quite a number of toe and hand bones. Almost a complete neck. Fragments of the hips, the right tibia, the left humerus and the right ulna and radius.

In this picture I laid the bones out with the front pointing down.

post-3991-0-84303400-1311545688_thumb.jpg

And I will of course continue to collect bones of this animal, and maybe one day I'll have a complete skeleton. :D

Edited by LordTrilobite
  • I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Good job! I wish you good luck with your endeavor :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

thanks a lot for sharing that. it's a very cool concept and a great way to focus a collection.

• 7 months later...

I'm reviving this old thread to post another update. Now I also have a portion of the thoratic and lumbar vertabrae and much of the left back leg. So I thought I'd share my progress. The bones in the picture are viewed from the right side, and the skull would be on the right side of the picture.

post-3991-0-43793800-1330786072_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Another update on the skeleton. More than half of the spine now.

post-3991-0-39281000-1365976842_thumb.jpg

amazing, and a lot of fun to watch the progress, thanks for sharing it!

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Wow, that's great. I hope anyone who can collect a site where bones can be found takes on a longterm project like that. It's the scavenger hunt for puzzle pieces that were never together and which you might never finish but it's satisfying when you find a piece you didn't have before.

Another update on the skeleton. More than half of the spine now.

attachicon.gifwoollyrhino_04.jpg

Wow, that's great. I hope anyone who can collect a site where bones can be found takes on a longterm project like that. It's the scavenger hunt for puzzle pieces that were never together and which you might never finish but it's satisfying when you find a piece you didn't have before.

I agree, I love making composites. When bones are in context it's so much easier to imagine what the creature looked like. And it's also quite informative to try and fit the bones together.

I am very happy to see that there are others who share enthusiasm with this magnificent animal. I too have been making a composite skeleton for some years now and it is slowly starting to look like a woolly rhino. I hope you get the rest of the vertebras and limb bones. And when you get the head in its place you can see how big of a creature it actually is. And then you begin your search for a bigger house :).

Well I was working on my own sculpture of the skull. How far have you come with your composite skeleton?

Edited by LordTrilobite

Well I was working on my own sculpture of the skull. How far have you come with your composite skeleton?

I still need pelvis and sacrum, left humerus, about 10 thoracic and most of the caudal vertebras, all ribs but one and some wrist and toe bones. The skull I have is a cast but looks very authentic with the rest of the skelly because of the same colour. I should have a picture of it somewhere... :zzzzscratchchin:

• 3 months later...

It's been a while. Here's another update of the skeleton.

post-3991-0-18471000-1375192993_thumb.jpg

Closeups with some cardboard cutouts of the missing limbs.

post-3991-0-79823400-1375192976_thumb.jpgpost-3991-0-44711000-1375192946_thumb.jpg

Keep the dream alive, and keep going! You're getting there!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but that is so impressive! Truly an inspiring project and I wish you the best of luck in acquiring the rest of that magnificent beast. I have a friend who is a dealer who is constantly handling all kinds of specimens and has put together many Pleistocene critters such as Mastodon, Mammoth, Cervalces, Megalonyx, etc. and is currently in the process of building a Castoroides. Meanwhile I'm still working on building a Bison and a Deer but I guess you have to start somewhere. Can't wait to see more updates and the final product - Good luck!!!