Fossil Flower

Tony G.

I found this while hunting for plant fossils in the Parachute Creek member of the Green River Formation on Douglas Pass, Colorado. It has been donated to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. The flower is abt 1/2" across and has wonderful detail.

post-6460-0-41033000-1311818624_thumb.jpg

Wow that is a very cool find, congratulations!:wub:

It's so awesome that you donated it to the Denver museum!:thumbsu:

Dan

I really like the Green River flora, and it doesn't get any better than your find!

Great & beautiful fossil!

Missed Douglas Pass when I was out there, it snowed the day I was there...

Spectacular! You must be (rightfully) very proud of your find, and of having donated it.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi Tony and Welcome to TFF. That is quite the fossil flower. Very unusual to see the reproductive structures preserved so beautifully. I certainly hope that DMNS has it on permanent exhibit! Thanks again for posting and great to have you on board. :)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Very nice flower fossil and from such a classic locality. It was very nice of you to donate it. I'd have asked them to make me a replica (if possible) so I could still have it at home. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Wow! I think I would have had to keep that around the house, at least for a while anyway.

Awesome find and even more awesome gesture in your donation!! Me thinks and hopes you'll be blessed by the fossil gods in the future! ;)

Exquisite :wub:

I applauded you on the donation :goodjob:

John

Edited by fossilsofnj

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling. - Mark Twain

Very nice flower fossil and from such a classic locality. It was very nice of you to donate it. I'd have asked them to make me a replica (if possible) so I could still have it at home. :)

I like this idea as well, but these Green River Fm plants are just a carbon film, so darn near imposible to replicate. Of course, photography is a great tool for this. And that's a nice photo of it.

I found this while hunting for plant fossils in the Parachute Creek member of the Green River Formation on Douglas Pass, Colorado. It has been donated to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. The flower is abt 1/2" across and has wonderful detail.

Spectacular flower indeed :wub:

Congratulations on it and on your nice gesture :goodjob:

Did they in the museum say what is it and how did they accept your donation???:unsure:

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Beautiful find. And you get props for the contribution to science. Most of my good stuff is in a museum.

-GeoJon

Hi Tony, Congrats---what a stunner! A wonderful Green River Fm fossil example--and as Scott mentioned, really unusual to see the stamens(filaments/anthers)preserved in such detail! I played around a bit with your photo with some labels....

post-1240-0-19658000-1312080288_thumb.jpg

Yep, please let us know if they provide any info on name/genus, etc. Very cool that it was donated!

Regards, Chris

Spectacular flower indeed :wub:

Congratulations on it and on your nice gesture :goodjob:

Did they in the museum say what is it and how did they accept your donation???:unsure:

I had sent a photo to the curator and he told me that the museum would like to have it. I drove to Denver, CO and delivered it personally. Didn't want to take a chance of it getting lost in the mail. In order to find out genus/species, I was told they would have to do some destructive testing to try and find some pollen grains. I have no idea if this was ever done.

I like this idea as well, but these Green River Fm plants are just a carbon film, so darn near imposible to replicate. Of course, photography is a great tool for this. And that's a nice photo of it.

I have an idea on how to make a replica of this flower. I have been meaning to try it for a long time. When I finally get it all worked out, I will post a photo of the finished product.

• 2 weeks later...

That is a very nice fossil indeed and your generosity is even nicer. I am not certain how the Fossil of the Month goes but I would think this would be a great fossil to enter. It would have my vote.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius