Pyrite Fossil Cleaning

lizx

Hi, appologies if i mess this up! Its my first post.

I have hundreds of pyrite ammonites which I have found in dorset over the years, and of course despite being prepared and varnished they have turned a copper colour and are no longer bright!

I have read about several cleaning liquids which can be used and I would like to experiment with some as I have so many to fix.

Does anyone know of any UK cleaning liquids which would work for cleaning pyrite ammonites?

I have read about substances such as Lime Away but I can not find it for sale anywhere online in the UK.

Thanks x

Hi, appologies if i mess this up! Its my first post.

I have hundreds of pyrite ammonites which I have found in dorset over the years, and of course despite being prepared and varnished they have turned a copper colour and are no longer bright!

I have read about several cleaning liquids which can be used and I would like to experiment with some as I have so many to fix.

Does anyone know of any UK cleaning liquids which would work for cleaning pyrite ammonites?

I have read about substances such as Lime Away but I can not find it for sale anywhere online in the UK.

Thanks x

Hi there,

I have the same problem with pyrite fossils, but with pyritised wood.

I am not sure that you can do much to be honest. How did you prepare them exactly?

They best way to preserve them is to do it with matt varnish. It works wonders.

I am not sure how to help you, but you might like to read this My link if you have not done so already.

Best wishes,

Thomas.

Edit: Welcome to the forum! B)

Edited by Odinofthenorth