Unknown Jaw Bone - Crumbled Now

BestTechnology

Found a jawbone that was stuck inside the mountain. I knew it was old because the rock had went into the jaw and a few teeth were still there. I tried to take the whole jaw out but it crumbled and this was all I got. Anyways anyone know what kind of animal would have these teeth?

post-6478-0-92674300-1311951377_thumb.jpg

post-6478-0-40482700-1311951387_thumb.jpg

"I love to touch things that nobody has touched for millions of years!"

Where was it found? Looks like White River Formation...certainly not Wisconsin.

Gotta' have some geologic info to go on!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Is there anyway you could post a much larger second pic?

Yes here you go:

Where was it found? Looks like White River Formation...certainly not Wisconsin.

Gotta' have some geologic info to go on!

Yes sorry to not tell you the whole story. It was found in South Dakota in one of those huge limestone formations that stick up alongside of the highway. We are going on vacation to the West Coast. It rained a whole bunch the day before.

post-6478-0-63432000-1311957848_thumb.jpg

post-6478-0-77713700-1311957863_thumb.jpg

Another picture of the jaw: Some how it got blured out by my sis taking it.

post-6478-0-96270100-1311959536_thumb.jpg

Edited by BestTechnology

Here's an example of a fossil that could have been saved if a proper plaster jacket had been applied.

Here's an example of a fossil that could have been saved if a proper plaster jacket had been applied.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Sorry about the plastic jacket being put on but the jaw was already broke in 15 pieces stuck to the dirt.

Nice`jaw. You've shown us you have a good eye for spotting fossils, now maybe you can find a dig that needs volunteers to learn the "best technology" for getting all 15 pieces out intact. I hope to do that myself soon. I've seen videos on youtube about plaster jackets. It looks tedious and messy but seems to work.

Nice`jaw. You've shown us you have a good eye for spotting fossils, now maybe you can find a dig that needs volunteers to learn the "best technology" for getting all 15 pieces out intact. I hope to do that myself soon. I've seen videos on youtube about plaster jackets. It looks tedious and messy but seems to work.

Yeah I need to join one of those volunteer digs soon. I will have to look one up in my area. Thanks Bob.

Is this the part where I throw in a shameless plug for our Tate Museum dinosaur digs? Shameless plug:

http://caspercollege.cc/dig/index.html

Come out and join one of our digs and I'll show you how to make a plaster jacket, which, as I mentioned in your oreodont skull post, is really the only way to get fossils like this out of the ground. Its actually not tedious as mentioned above, but it does take some time. The question is, do you want to collect fossils or ruin fossils?

Is this the part where I throw in a shameless plug for our Tate Museum dinosaur digs? Shameless plug:

http://caspercollege.cc/dig/index.html

Come out and join one of our digs and I'll show you how to make a plaster jacket, which, as I mentioned in your oreodont skull post, is really the only way to get fossils like this out of the ground. Its actually not tedious as mentioned above, but it does take some time. The question is, do you want to collect fossils or ruin fossils?

I was hoping you would take the hint :P

The tedious part would the prep after the recovery but seeing the fossil emerge from the stone is so rewarding!

Do your volunteers do any prep work too?

I was hoping you would take the hint :P

The tedious part would the prep after the recovery but seeing the fossil emerge from the stone is so rewarding!

Do your volunteers do any prep work too?

BobWill... no not really. Sometimes, if I have the time, I will let them spend some time in the lab, but not as part of the trip. (maybe the week after). Every year I toy with the idea of doing some sort of prep lab experience, but my schedule only allows me to live one life at a time.