More Green River Bird Tracks

Auspex

My collection of bird track morphotypes just got a boost, with at least 12 distinctly different ones now from the Green River Fm. The largest and smallest ones on this new plate are different from any I already had ;)

post-423-0-01131600-1312829350_thumb.jpg

Only one bird track type from GR has ever been officially described and named; four others have been referred to as type A, B, C, and D (for convenience, but not described). This got me thinking....

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Auspex... Thats brilliant... very heavily populated with footprints with a great variety in sizes all on one slab of rock...a serious piece for any collection never mind a bird enthusiast ;)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Only one bird track type from GR has ever been officially described and named; four others have been referred to as type A, B, C, and D (for convenience, but not described). This got me thinking....

It's a fantastic plate! When are you going to start writing.... :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

When are you going to start writing.... :D

I've started researching; that's how I know how little there is published on them...

With the sample size I have on most of them, it shouldn't be too hard to write up the metrics (length, width, angle of the toes) and the features (webbed/semi-palmate/non-palmate, presence and angle of a hallux [hind toe print] and it's angle), and anything else that differentiates them.

If anyone reading this has any leads on references I can track down, please let me know!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

That's one seriously busy plate. I love the story it tells. Congrats on the fabulous acquisition. ;)

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I've started researching; that's how I know how little there is published on them...

With the sample size I have on most of them, it shouldn't be too hard to write up the metrics (length, width, angle of the toes) and the features (webbed/semi-palmate/non-palmate, presence and angle of a hallux [hind toe print] and it's angle), and anything else that differentiates them.

If anyone reading this has any leads on references I can track down, please let me know!

This is from Kemmerer?! I've never seen or heard of tracks form Kemmerer. Unusual....

There is one on the bird tracks of Soldier Summit from maybe the 1970's? Are you familiar with Kirk Johnson's descrition of Paleocene bird tracks from Polecat Bench (northern WY). It is Paleocene, but it may have some good info. If I can find my copy, I'll let you know.

Edited by jpc

This is from Kemmerer?! I've never seen or heard of tracks form Kemmerer. Unusual....

I'm lucky, sometimes. U-3 and U-5 are the classic tracksites, but between the Early Middle and the Middle Middle Eocene, when Lake Gosiute was drying up, The Kemmerer area preserved some in very fine varves. Some of the birds are different, too.

There is one on the bird tracks of Soldier Summit from maybe the 1970's? Are you familiar with Kirk Johnson's descrition of Paleocene bird tracks from Polecat Bench (northern WY). It is Paleocene, but it may have some good info. If I can find my copy, I'll let you know.

Thanks! I'm really scrounging for papers and references. Ichnofossils are kind of a stepchild...

Even and the more fanatic

couldn't imagine this fantastic.:wub::o:rolleyes:

Have to thank a lot, Chas,

and a tone of congrats.:goodjob: :bow: :)

Astrinos P. Damianakis