Appreciation

flyersfan805

After a few days of trying to figure out just what we were going to do for a mini vacation last week we finally settled on Westmoreland State Park. Neither my wife or I have ever been there, it met the criteria that there had to be some opportunity to find fossils and it was only about an hour or so away. Perfect! Monday we show up and I have to say the Park itself is very nicely maintained, and as far as Virginia parks go it has now landed on the upper end of the recommendation list. The trails were nice the pool was a lot of fun, and the beaches were very clean (for the Potomac). It was nice to get away and take some time to relax and watch bald eagles and osprey do their thing.

post-5973-0-15234000-1312857296_thumb.jpg

The cliffs were closed of course but that did not stop me from asking the ranger if he needed any ***expert***;) advice on fossils when he was doing his morning patrol of the cliff areas. Apparently they are all EXPERTS there and didn't need my help :D

The post title is Appreciation and here's where that comes in. Monday we realized that the Forum was not working but thought that it was just my phone in the no 3G area of the cliffs. By Wed it seemed we were checking constantly to see if it was back up and today we both were like little giddy kids once we realized you guys were back and running.... Appreciation for what you have... Thanks guys for all the hard work and hours put in over this week to get back and going. Secondly and sadly I have to say Westmoreland and fossil beach should be taken off any good fossil hunters list of places to go, unless you are going to relax.

post-5973-0-70684900-1312858339_thumb.jpg

We found very little and learned an all new appreciation for what we have in our back yard...Appreciation.. The above pic is four days of scouring fossil beach the below pics are what we pulled out of the waterfall this past weekend. As always I hope you enjoy the pics as much as I have enjoyed the process.

Mike

post-5973-0-72188500-1312858780_thumb.jpg

post-5973-0-76496400-1312858905_thumb.jpg

Yes we found some pretty awesome teeth and shark verts at the waterfall. We usually have so many tiger, bull, lemon type teeth I put them in a big pile, but spending four days really scouring the beach to find so little let me really appreciate each and every tooth that we found last weekend at the waterfall

good stuff! Whats the large thing in the corner of 146.jpg?

I think it's a conglomeration of clay oyster shells and some bone mixed in could be some coral mixed in as well... we really just thought it looked cool so we brought it home.

post-5973-0-37207100-1312909375_thumb.jpg

post-5973-0-85474000-1312909459_thumb.jpg