Florida Finds

Tarheel59

When life give you lemons you make lemonaide.

The wife and I went to Florida for a vacation. I was warned by her to not take any of my fossil gear (screens, shovels etc..) She wanted to have a fossil free vacation. :(

So we arrived on the 1st to Homestead and spent a few days with her family and the headed to Longboat Key, (Sarasota area). We stayed in condo across road from the beach. I have never hunted Florida before but after reading online of places I expected at least something.

When we arrived her and her brother went to get keys and unit numbers etc.. I stepped out of truck to stretch my legs and as I always look down was suprised to see the parking lot was covered in small shell material.

I immeaditately went into FOSSIL MODE I started scanning the ground and in matter of minutes found my first tooth. My Sister-in-law took her granddaughter and my grandson down to beach. When they got back my grandson had found a piece of bone and nothing more. The beach would have to wait till morning anyway as it was getting late.

I had managed to find a small amount of complete shells (baby whelks and other baby shells) and the one tooth.

The following days there I managed to get about 5 ziplocks full of small shells, and worm tubes and a small amount of teeth.

My thought is this material came from a mine area ran through seperators to get the small material and sand for covering driveways and lots.

There is a part 2 to the story so stay tuned also Pics loaded here.

So even though I was forced to not being able to hunt fully geared I was able to manage to find some great things for my collection.

post-4990-0-77005800-1313017955_thumb.jpg

post-4990-0-23579500-1313018126_thumb.jpg

Haha...... thanks for this post, I needed a little comic relief. The fossils are fantastic but your backstory is absolutely priceless! You were definitely a man on a mission, with or without your "fossil gear". So are these the fossils you collected while sleepwalking or in fossil mode? Fossil mode appears to be a permanent state for most of the folks at TFF. Present company INCLUDED. :wacko:

Congratulations on your great finds from your "fossil free vacation"! :o:P:)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Lol...now I can't get the adam west batman theme song out of my head. I can just here it goin as you switch into FOSSIL MODE lol

Ziplock bags will always make it through spousal security! :ph34r:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ziplock bags will always make it through spousal security! :ph34r:

Sweet, nice finds, is that tooth right above the dime pahologic? Cant tell from the pic. Either way congrats

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Ha Ha, a fossil free vacation :rofl: ! Great finds.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Yeah the parking area was about the the size of a football field with little paths and individual parking for each condo, on each side of the road. If you lumped them all together square it would be about that size more or less.

Funny thing is I spent more time in a parking lot :) than I did at the beach haha.. I used to go out there in mornings and nights before dark. Always having to wait on the others to pile into Bro-in-laws Expedition to go eat etc...

Usually had a ziplock in my pocket too. :)

The beach where we stayed was void of any teeth what so ever so the lots were a plesant alternative. Wish I could have went to some of the other lots there to explore too. The whole entire area had the same material covering their lots also.

My wife just knows me too well. If she would have allowed gear she knows she would not have seen me except meal times and bedtime. :) She just does not get the addiction, Disease Hobby we so much enjoy.. :)

I even had the Brother-in-law out on a couple lots hunts he even found me a couple of the teeth and donated them to my collection. Tarheel59

For those that are from Florida and frequently travel there you know the turnpikes during moring commutes. So the I had a heck of a trip down to FL. On the Turnpike about a couple hours from my 1st destination a blowout at 75+ mph is interesting specially in the dark. Lucky I had my triple A membership.

White Ibises (Ibi?), with a Willet in the background. ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!