Interesting Article On Yahoo News

flyersfan805

thanks flyersfan

that is another good example of very important fossil found by privat paleontologists

It was found by C. Bonner, a good friend of mine (he also discovered Bonnerichthys gladius). Sometime journalists forget very important datails :(

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Viviperous and K-adapted! I guess that settles that.

Another implication is that they were relatively long-lived.

What a tremendous find!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

here we are :)

Pregnant Plesiosaur Discovered by Chuck Bonner

The first and only known specimen of a pregnant short-necked plesiosaur is now on permanent display at the Natural History Museum (NHM) of Los Angeles County. This western Kansas fossil was found by Chuck Bonner in the 1980’s. During the fossil collecting process, Chuck discovered there was a fetus in the abdominal region. He nicknamed her “Polly the Pregnant Plesiosaur”.

The fossil was in storage for many years until Dr. Luis M. Chiappe, Director of the Dinosaur Institute at the NHM began studying the specimen. His scientific analysis will be published in the August edition of Science magazine. “Polly” or Polycotylus latipinnis, its scientific name, proves that plesiosaurs gave life birth and significantly adds additional data to the fossil record.

Chuck Bonner and Barbara Shelton (Keystone Gallery) attended the premiere of the new Dinosaur Hall in July for the colleagues special event where Polly made her debut. The fossil, measuring 10’ by 12’, has a huge presence in the hall. One of Barbara’s many photographs of collecting the specimen is also part of the permanent exhibit.

In July, “the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County opened its all-new, 14,000-square-foot Dinosaur Hall, marking the halfway point of the Museum’s seven-year transformation. Twice the size of the Museum’s old dinosaur galleries, the new permanent exhibition features over 300 fossils and 20 complete mounts of dinosaurs and sea creatures.” NHM Press Release

On display is a large swimming reptile, the most complete mosasaur specimen of Platecarpus ever found. This mosasaur, still in plaster jackets, reveals traces of a partial body outline, skin color markings, external scales, branching bronchial tubes, and evidence of the animal’s last meal from 85 million years ago—a fossil fish. This specimen has been in museum storage since 1967 after being found and collected by Marion Bonner.

Two other wall exhibits include more of the NHM collection from the Bonner family whose specimens were acquired in the 1960’s. A flying reptile skull (pteranodon), found by Chuck and the largest of its kind from the Niobrara chalk of Kansas, is part of one wall. Included in this panel is a complete pteranodon skeleton. The second wall features turtle specimens, a Saurodon fossil fish, a crinoid slab and another small fish Apsopelix from the Kansas chalk.

The new Dinosaur Hall in Los Angeles opened to the public in July of 2011 to rave reviews and terrific attendance.

The Keystone Gallery website will soon be updated with more complete information on the exhibit, including additional fossil field photographs.

http://www.keystonegallery.com

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Hey guys - guess I should come clean. this is Mike's wife high jacking his account. :o Ever since we found the first tooth I spend more time than I should doing research on fossils as well as general reading. I found this article especially interesting because of the singular off spring and hypothesis around a more mothering type of approach.

Now I'm even more excited because I 'know someone (albeit via forum) who knows the guy that actually found this gold nugget! thanks again tff :rolleyes:

-the better half of Flyersfan805

Oh! That Chuck Bonner!

That family rivals the Steinbergs!

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Hey guys - guess I should come clean. this is Mike's wife high jacking his account. :o Ever since we found the first tooth I spend more time than I should doing research on fossils as well as general reading. I found this article especially interesting because of the singular off spring and hypothesis around a more mothering type of approach.

Now I'm even more excited because I 'know someone (albeit via forum) who knows the guy that actually found this gold nugget! thanks again tff :rolleyes:

-the better half of Flyersfan805

You could be "flyersfan805.2" ;)

thanks flyersfan

that is another good example of very important fossil found by amateur paleontologists

It was found by C. Bonner, a good friend of mine (he also discovered Bonnerichthys gladius). Sometime journalists forget very important datails :(

Agreed. Chuck and his dad deserve more credit for this find then they have gotten. The L.A. Times did have a good article on the find and dedicated a good chunk of the article to them. What I find ironic is it took 24 years for this find to hit the front pages....