Rice Museum Fossil Fest

piranha

As promised here is a show report from the Rice Museum in Hillsboro, Oregon. Fossil Fest is sponsored by the North America Research Group (NARG). Among a handful of guest speakers, Professor Emeritus Bill Orr gave a presentation on marine mammal evolution. That alone was worth the two hour drive not to mention perhaps one of the finest world-class collections of petrified wood and minerals. Additionally I have included many spectacular Oregon fossils and ID cards. A must see attraction for anyone visiting near Portland.

There is something for everyone so enjoy the virtual tour! :)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

i take it they find alot of pet wood there? :P those carnelian snails are breathtaking! :wub: thanks for the pics Scott.

Edited by Guest

WOW!!!

You weren't exaggerating when you said "something for everyone..."

To see such a grouping of breathtakingly beautiful, mouthwatering,

world class fossils, under one roof is amazing!

Thank you very much for sharing

Barry

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Great photos , love the colours in the wood slices!!

The Branchioplax attributed to Hornby Island though is mislabeled no Eocene Quimper Formation there, must be from Washington State or could possibly be from the West Coast of Vancouver Island .

Cephalopods rule!!

Great photos of magnificent specimens! What a collection! Thanks, Scott!

I did catch the Eocene Hornby Island error. I think that species does occur on the west coast of Vancouver Island (Carmanah? [sic] Formation), as well as many localities in Washington State. Also there is one photo in post 5 labeled "Snale". Not that I'm a "spelling ######" or anything, but it seems a shame to mar such a fantastic display with a silly spelling mistake.

Don

oops ran afoul of the word filter. For the Seinfeld fans, think of "soup #####".

Edited by FossilDAWG

Wow! That place has been added to my list. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Mike! :)

Absolutely a must see destination if you get the opportunity. The Rice Museum is rated among the top 3 natural history museums of the Pacific Northwest and listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. Attached is a link to the website with a wonderful five minute video to give more of a "walk through" experience and historical background on the Rice family who built this landmark back in the early 50's as their home and private museum. In the 90's the Rices incorporated as a non-profit museum and donated all the buildings and wooded acreage. For over 50 years the collection and reference materials have been available for research and study to all who are interested in the earth sciences.

LINK

I agree that the crab labeled as a Branchiplax is mislabled. I think that is probably a Magokkos sp. from the Quimper Formation from Washington State, but not from B.C. The bit of the swimming paddle showing gives it away. It looks like the concretions from a site on the Straits of Juan DeFuca that is known to have Megokkos. The Branchioplax is the light colored crab to the left. However, all of those fossils are great and looks to be a fantastic museum to check out.

Crabfossilsteve

Thanks everyone for the great comments. Another friend wants to visit so I will be returning to the Rice Museum sooner than expected.

Yippee! :P:D

Very nice pictures. I miss the crab in the concretion that was almost completely freed from its stoney matrix. Who is going to prepare another one? :D

Scott,

Terrific photos for the Rice Museum virtual tour trip report.

A well thought out variety of Flora and Fauna fossil specimens for the tour photos.

Best Regards,

Bill Sullivan

NARG Director