Giant Bird Diatryma Footprint

DLB

Giant bird Diatryma footprint The single three-toed footprint measures 25 x 27.5 cm (10 by 11 in. Was this the only size thay could have been or can thay vary by as much as 4"?

Unknown, because of the fossil record is so scanty; I think 4" smaller might be possible (young bird, but how could one know that?), but 4" larger would be beyond the normal range of differential among the neorniths.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Unknown, because of the fossil record is so scanty; I think 4" smaller might be possible (young bird, but how could one know that?), but 4" larger would be beyond the normal range of differential among the neorniths.

Also could the sediment also factor in the enlargment and or reduction in size?

PUBLICATIONS

Dallas Paleontology Society Occasional Papers Vol. 9 2011

"Pennsylvanian Stratigraphy and Paleoecology of Outcrops in Jacksboro, Texas"

Author

Texas Paleontology Society Feb, 2011

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

"Beer, Bacon, and Bivalves!"

"Say NO to illegal fossil buying / selling"

"They belong in a museum."

Education

Associates of Science - 2011

Bachelors of Science (Geology & Biology) - 2012 est.

Also could the sediment also factor in the enlargment and or reduction in size?

Absolutely, which is why the artful science of ichnology considers tell-tale clues of such in a track plate.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

There is the original impression, which is concave, and it's counterpart (formed when the original is covered and filled) which is convex. "Part" and "counterpart" when the rock is split.

There is the original impression, which is concave, and it's counterpart (formed when the original is covered and filled) which is convex. "Part" and "counterpart" when the rock is split.

Mmmmmmm I may have some thing you really want to see and you may have something to say about it !!! ;)

Mmmmmmm I may have some thing you really want to see and you may have something to say about it !!! ;)

Don't toy with me! :o

Post a pic already! :)

Don't toy with me! :o

Post a pic already! :)

Waiting somewhat (not really at all) patiently as well.....

• 2 weeks later...

Patience, everyone; the game is afoot! ;)

<secrets will eventually be revealed>