Fake Matrix Round 2

Crinoid Queen

Feeling like my skills are being lost because of this horrid drought, I was snooping around my weathering piles hoping that something would pop out. It was then I stumbled across a rather large piece with two specimens that the rock would not give up the previous summer. I figured what was there to lose. Took my trustee hammer and chisel and sure enough,nice and clean, they cam out. :Dpost-1179-0-42790100-1313686380_thumb.jpg

post-1179-0-90564700-1313686066_thumb.jpg Since the face of the crinoids were damaged, I knew right away I would again have to attempt to make fake matrix and flip the crinoids over. As many of you guys saw my last attempt was far from beautiful lol. The first monumental task is to start grinding the rock. Last time I tried just hitting it with a hammer and it just did not turn out fine enough so this time I did it a little different. post-1179-0-63394000-1313686482_thumb.jpg

I ground and ground then, was like how do I get it up. Then I was like oh ya duhh! post-1179-0-29445900-1313686810_thumb.jpg Into a biopsy jar I got from my dads doctor gave me. post-1179-0-22935700-1313686813_thumb.jpg Then I set out to work on the Glue I wanted to use. Although Elmers worked well for others, my previous experiences showed me it would not be my choice. Among other problems it reconstituted with reintroduction to water, a vital part of my preparation. Then a recent home repair got me to thinking. A few of our tiles fell off and my land lord left his grout here. I thought hummm like stone and water proof.... why not give it a try. So I mixed up a few testers using different ratios using some scrap stems and wow was I shocked at how well it worked!!! The only problem was it was too light. Posted for some help got charcole as an idea used some and still did not get the right pigment. Then thought ahh hah!! I have a ton of old blush in a make up kit that I do not use! I think my recipie is a success what do you all think?

post-1179-0-68452400-1313686755_thumb.jpg

Cyathocrinites iowensis

Edited by Crinoid Queen

well this is my second attempt to respond as when i used spell check it erased my whole reply so here goes. i am new to fossil prep work and learning my way around thanks to this forum i am ahead in the odds. i am using old style phonograph needles attached to a series of pin vises going from fine to large. one thing i have noticed is i am using hand and arm muscles that i never knew i had and well the soreness is worth it. i love your "Blush" work ...pun intended. also have you noticed that doing this type of fun is like finding unexpected treasures also.

doc

:P

Hi CQ,

I think there are pigments that masons use in mortar. I would think it would work in grout too, and may be cheaper than using make-up. I, of course, haven't had the need to compare make-up prices though.LOL

BTW, love your posts! Nice fossils.

Steve

great job CQ!! :goodjob:

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

CQ,

Great results! I think you did a great job there. :)

You might check into the colorings for grout, it may be less expensive in the long run.

However - I do like the result you posted here.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanx every one for the nice complements!! I am so glad it turned out nice and it eye appeasing to more than just me lol. Didn't know there was different colors of tile grout thanks for the suggestion fossildude19. I will have to visit the local hardware store and check that out :)

-CQ

Let's start calling your handiwork "engineered matrix". "Fake" sounds like it is intended to deceive. ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Let's start calling your handiwork "engineered matrix". "Fake" sounds like it is intended to deceive. ;)

haha nice one :)

I ground and ground then, was like how do I get it up. Then I was like oh ya duhh! post-1179-0-29445900-1313686810_thumb.jpg Into a biopsy jar I got from my dads doctor gave me. post-1179-0-22935700-1313686813_thumb.jpg Then I set out to work on the Glue I wanted to use. Although Elmers worked well for others, my previous experiences showed me it would not be my choice. Among other problems it reconstituted with reintroduction to water, a vital part of my preparation. Then a recent home repair got me to thinking. A few of our tiles fell off and my land lord left his grout here. I thought hummm like stone and water proof.... why not give it a try. So I mixed up a few testers using different ratios using some scrap stems and wow was I shocked at how well it worked!!! The only problem was it was too light. Posted for some help got charcole as an idea used some and still did not get the right pigment. Then thought ahh hah!! I have a ton of old blush in a make up kit that I do not use! I think my recipie is a success what do you all think?

post-1179-0-68452400-1313686755_thumb.jpg

Cyathocrinites iowensis

Most grout can be tinted with inexpensive acrylic craft paints. Test some small amounts but it almost never has an adverse reaction. Another nice thing is when the paint dries it adds a plastic to the matrix. I get mine at craft stores on the mark down rack for .25-.50 for a 2 oz bottle.

• 3 weeks later...

Completed the sec one in the before picture a few days ago and I could not believe the results!!! Defiantly some eye candy for ya Auspex! ^_^ When I started prepping it I thought it was a fairly rare Decadocrinus tumidulus but as I was able to reveal to arms I got to see that they branched in a very unique and odd way that is only found in one extremely rare crinoid! YAYAY Here is a new jewel for my collection, an Abrotocrinus coreyi.post-1179-0-18423600-1315621268_thumb.jpg

Giving these problem-preppers a new bed to rest in makes for a nice presentation.

Good work!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi CQ-

Haven't seen you here for a while. Good to have you back. Oh, and very nice work.

Ya I have been busy working like a dog. How have all of you been hopefully very well :)

Auspex it never would have happened if I had not had figured out the secret ingredient in the matrix old ugly blush(makeup) from a huge kit some relative got me for xmass like 4 years ago HA HA! When I run out will have to find a cheaper alternative but for now works great :D

Ya I have been busy working like a dog. How have all of you been hopefully very well :)

Auspex it never would have happened if I had not had figured out the secret ingredient in the matrix old ugly blush(makeup) from a huge kit some relative got me for xmass like 4 years ago HA HA! When I run out will have to find a cheaper alternative but for now works great :D

Nice work on this crinoid!

Has anyone mentioned to you dry tempera pigment? It comes in basic colors, but you can mix 'em. The pigments dissolve readily in water (water-based compounds) and may dissolve in other fluids.

These pigments are very effective in 5-minute epoxy, though all translucence is lost.

Buy the tempera pigment by the pound at your local craft store or perhaps on-line.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest