Single Or Double Canister Abrasion Unit?

Paleogirl98

Can anyone tell me if there is much difference in using a single vs double canister air abrasion unit? Is it worth the extra price? :zzzzscratchchin:

Well, you can use two types of media without having to clean out your canister. I guess it comes down to your budget.

Well, you can use two types of media without having to clean out your canister. I guess it comes down to your budget.

Thanks!

:)

Do you have to switch back and forth much or can you usually use a coarse grit and then just change to a finer to finish?

I do not want to have to spend alot of time switching back and forth. I know this gets easier as you get to know your unit.

I haven't actually used a two canister unit yet, but as an example, you could use baking soda in one and dolomite in the other depending on the material you are working on. I suppose you could use the less abrasive material as a finish, but the air abrasive is a finisher anyway. I use air hammers (Chicago Pnuematic and Microjack 5) first until I can remove no more material and then switch to the abrasive. Every fossil is different, so you have to adjust accordingly.