Not Every Dinosaur Died In K/t Extinction: Birds Survived

Nandomas

A feast for the eyes, Nando!

post-423-0-37729400-1313715033_thumb.jpg

Dinosaurs live among us ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Spectacular specimens to see. Thanks a million for taking the time to share those images. They are very special indeed.

John

Sometime, for me it's easier to post pics than write in English :wacko: :wacko:

I can't even say "Great Pictures thanks for posting"...In Italian

Continue to post pictures with limited text.

Language barriers do not apply to pictures!

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Hey Nando, great photos and post!

Was reading yesterday in the Summer 2011 Discover presents Evolution magazine and they have an article on living fossils along with vaious pictures of various types....they've got a photo (edit---page #30)of the hoatzin (HWAT-zen). This interesting present day bird has clawed wings. Apparently, "when threatened, the chicks of these tropical birds drop from the trees into the water below and then use their wing claws to climb back up to the nest. By adulthood, the claws are no longer funtional."

Google images search has lots of pictures of hoatzins and on page 9 you can see a photo of a young bird swimming...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sugexp=emsp&xhr=t&q=hoatzin&cp=7&qe=aG9hdHppbg&qesig=wDxaA_3aKr99bJiSLb8zdw&pkc=AFgZ2tnh54wGkEptsIxylknctPhgKZpzOrDKwBh9ZiIg1vo8x85c4ME2eg3rrKTvVR_N0q_m5Gb_X57uwDK1LaVzpug-si0mvA&biw=1024&bih=496&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&wrapid=tljp131385491820502&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Also, the hoatzin "has a modern evolutionary twist: It is the only bird with forgut fermentation. Just like a cow, the hoatzin...has a stomach filled with bacteria that break down fibrous plants into digestible sugars and fatty acids."

Cool fossil birds, amazing! Their descendents keep evolving.

Thanks Nando. Regards, Chris

Edited by Plantguy

I'd love to go over this one with a microscope!

post-423-0-15735100-1314032122_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

A feast for the eyes, Nando!

post-423-0-37729400-1313715033_thumb.jpg

Dinosaurs live among us ;)

Chas, holy moly, is that an eagle's foot you got there? That must be one big bird!

Daryl.

Chas, holy moly, is that an eagle's foot you got there? That must be one big bird!

Daryl.

Golden Eagles can hurt you...