Some Of My Favorite Fossils - Hanging On The Wall.

CousinLarry

I just wanted to share my small collection.. Pretty much not a day goes by when I don't just stand in front of it and stare at everything! hahaaa..

This isn't all that I have, but it is my favs. I have been collecting for a couple years.. Picked up where I left off when I was about 10 (22yrs ago!)

I put up a little display in my dining room with some of my favorite stuff:

wall.jpg

Some crinoid stems I found in Pulaski, NY

crinoids.jpg

This is Jianghanichthys from China, next to it NJ Cretaceous period amber with some bugs - an ant and what looks like a Mosquito.

fishandamber.jpg

amber.jpg

Garnet I found in CT at an old garnet mine

garnet.jpg

Some Herkimer Diamonds found in Herkimer NY. I swung a 10lb sledge for four hours for that tiny guy in the matrix (dolomitic limestone) - while my wifey was banging a little hammer and digging in the dirt found that monster! haha

herkimers.jpg

Some Trilobites - the one on the left is a head molt. I found it in Little Falls, NY. On the right is a Moroccan one that I purchased.

trilobites.jpg

Some chompers! - On the left is Otodus Obliquus tooth from Morocco. In the matrix is also a big fish jaw fragment and some other small stuff. On the right is a meg tooth. Right in front of that is one of my favs and newest - a jaw portion from a Ischyromys - a prehistoric rodent similar to squirrel. Oligocene, from Nebraska.

teeth.jpg

And the Ischyromys again:

ischyromis_jaw.jpg

I hope to add an Indian artifact or two to my collection at some point! Get it, point? hahaa... I just kinda caught the bug after doing a lot of reading on artifacts. From what I hear, CT has some good spots to find them.. Gotta get hunting!

Good stuff :)! Your pieces of NJ amber are huge!

Got a little NC Outer Banks thing going too?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

thanks for sharing your collection. it's fun to see the things that are special to others. keep hunting!

Auspex - I was born and lived in NC for a while.. Cape Hatteras is my second home so I had to show some love :D

Not pictured in close-ups - on the top left is a polished/cut geode that I've had since I was like 7.. Right under that is a Tikki guy from Hawaii, and a small piece of drift wood I found on a beach in Hawaii.

The top-right corner is a pinecone from a Giant Sequoia tree that I found in a Sequoia grove in Northern Cali last month. Hoping to plant my own giant sequioa sometime! hahaa

And yes, the Amber pieces are right up there in my favorites. They are big chunks with big bugs inside. My imagination runs wild when I look at them - just thinking what animal that mosquito last fed off of blows my mind!

Edited by CousinLarry

Very nice display... The tooth in matrix looks very nice to... ;)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi CousinLarry, Nice wall display! I particularly like those crinoid stems alot--quite nice. I'm still hoping

that maybe some day when the youngins are growed up and move out for me to take over an entire room and create

the man cave...that garage thing is just too hot or cold most of the year....here's to wishing and hoping...I

should also add that it was a only a minor battle to get the stuffed wood duck on top of the dresser

in the bedroom. :D Continued collecting success! Regards, Chris