Ate Lunch Today Where The Dinosaurs Used To Roam!

CousinLarry

Visited a track site that's about 5 mins from where I work..

dinoland.jpg

Ancient lake used to cover the area, there's ripples all over the rocks.

I sat on the ledge, and at my sammich... Thinking of the Dinos that once walked right through that area. It really blows my mind thinking about that stuff.. Picturing a heard of them hanging out there, sippin the water... Good stuff..

Here's a few of the better tracks. A lot of them are covered by dirt and debris.

eubrontes1.jpg

eubrontes2.jpg

Just wanted to share :)

Dining with dinos, a Mesozoic mezza ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Mesozoic mezza.. I like that :) haha

Indy - it is close to the state park.. Donosaur State Park is in Rocky Hill, CT about 15 mins from this site. This is city owned property.. It's a little square of land literally with houses on each side. There's a small sign out front that says "Powder Ridge Dinosaur Park". A small wood kiosk with some info, and then in back all the rocks you see.. There's a lot there, there's some smaller grallaters too.

Here's some pics from when I visited last time:

46869_421629048778_550358778_5019209_6700979_n.jpg

46869_421629043778_550358778_5019208_463073_n.jpg

46869_421629038778_550358778_5019207_773634_n.jpg

PaleoPutz - you have collected tracks? That's like my life dream! hahaa.. I just don't know where to look for them "in the wild" ... The only spots I know are this park, and the DST. I hear there's lots of spots in MA but can't collect anywhere.

I just want one for the wall! Weeeaahhhh .. :D hahaaa

Edited by CousinLarry

Mesozoic mezza.. I like that :) haha

Indy - it is close to the state park.. Donosaur State Park is in Rocky Hill, CT about 15 mins from this site. This is city owned property.. It's a little square of land literally with houses on each side. There's a small sign out front that says "Powder Ridge Dinosaur Park". A small wood kiosk with some info, and then in back all the rocks you see.. There's a lot there, there's some smaller grallaters too.

Here's some pics from when I visited last time:

PaleoPutz - you have collected tracks? That's like my life dream! hahaa.. I just don't know where to look for them "in the wild" ... The only spots I know are this park, and the DST. I hear there's lots of spots in MA but can't collect anywhere.

I just want one for the wall! Weeeaahhhh .. :D hahaaa

Haha... not in the field. From dealers... :blush: I would love to do that, but it is a bit out of my reach. Tracks are one of the few fossils I still buy. I have heard most of them come from private land. I haven't made an attempt to locate a place that is legal to hunt on.

Haha... not in the field. From dealers... :blush: I would love to do that, but it is a bit out of my reach. Tracks are one of the few fossils I still buy. I have heard most of them come from private land. I haven't made an attempt to locate a place that is legal to hunt on.

I see.. What do they go for? The only ones I saw for sale were small ones that didn't look all that great for around $150.

I see.. What do they go for? The only ones I saw for sale were small ones that didn't look all that great for around $150.

It depends on several things.... The quality, the type of track, the size, how many tracks are on the plate. I have found several nice ones for less than $150. Single grallator tracks can be had for much less than that.

My favorites are the examples where the plate is thin enough to see the track on both sides.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice pics. There are a couple places near Mt. Tom and Holyoke MA where you can still collect. I pulled out a few nice tracks out last year but haven't had much time this summer to go get more. If you want older tracks than the dinos (150 - 200 myo), talking 300 myo+, amphibian and early reptile stuff, I can give you a good site in MA for those as well. Let me know, I'll give you locations but hurry, winter is coming.