Fossilisation In Process

ckmerlin

just wanted to share these USB microscope photos of plants that are becoming fossilised by CaCo rich freshwater . The plants grow on the tufa deposit i mentioned in a previous post , the water from the spring is saturated with CaCO (limestone in solution ) as it flows from the spring onto the tufa and the plants that grow on it

the CaCO precipitates out of the water (due to various processes) the plants become encrusted with calcite and overtime become fossilised

first photo shows two fronds of moss one on right is becoming encrusted

second is slice of calcified grass

third shows same moss species nearly completely calcified

all taken with 60xmagnification

and 200xMag

post-6560-0-91351900-1314029981_thumb.jpg

post-6560-0-80752700-1314030085_thumb.jpg

post-6560-0-06429900-1314030169_thumb.jpg

Edited by ckmerlin

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

Thanks Indy :)

Very fascinating process. You see many of these 'modern' fossils listed for sale at ebay for example. By definition not exactly a fossil but certainly well on the way. Are there examples of flora that are preserved by this mechanism that have met the threshold of 10K years or older? I would imagine that much of the diatomaceous material qualifies as the conditions for siliceous preservation are abundant and well documented.

Just curious if anyone can fill in the blanks here? :zzzzscratchchin:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

This isn't an "expected" topic of discussion, however, it is

a subject that many have thought about. Maybe, not openly

discussed...but many have mentally mulled over the subject.

There's enough information here to make for an interesting

discussion.

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Well said Barry. This topic has been on my radar for many years now. Attached is a link to one of the better papers that describes the processes of calcareous and siliceous formations with info on plants as rock builders and diatom beds. Other than diatomaceous matrix, I cannot recall ever seeing a plant (leaf) fossil preserved in this mode from an age older than Holocene. Perhaps someone knows of a more recent paper on this?

LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

That's pretty cool... here's an idea: if you have something you'd like preserved long term (time capsule) just throw it in the solution! Send a nice bouquet of rare flowers to our descendants.

In France (as somewhere else, I suppose), we have certain number of places where these things can occur. We call this water a "petrifying source or a petrifying fountain. http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tufi%C3%A8re

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Well said Barry. This topic has been on my radar for many years now. Attached is a link to one of the better papers that describes the processes of calcareous and siliceous formations with info on plants as rock builders and diatom beds. Other than diatomaceous matrix, I cannot recall ever seeing a plant (leaf) fossil preserved in this mode from an age older than Holocene. Perhaps someone knows of a more recent paper on this?

LINK

The link is good , the tufa deposit originates at a freshwater spring seep. You are correect on date the deposit is no older than Holocene.

heres a link http://pygs.lyellcollection.org/content/46/2/141.abstract

That's pretty cool... here's an idea: if you have something you'd like preserved long term (time capsule) just throw it in the solution! Send a nice bouquet of rare flowers to our descendants.

Funny you should say that the thought had crossed my mind to try an experiment of that nature , (not a bouquet of rare flowers tho cant afford that !! :) )

Very fascinating process. You see many of these 'modern' fossils listed for sale at ebay for example. By definition not exactly a fossil but certainly well on the way. Are there examples of flora that are preserved by this mechanism that have met the threshold of 10K years or older? I would imagine that much of the diatomaceous material qualifies as the conditions for siliceous preservation are abundant and well documented.

Most of the material is calcerous in nature derived from CaCO3 saturated water that originated as meteoric water that fell on the local limestone lithology

see this link http://pygs.lyellcollection.org/content/46/2/141.abstract

This isn't an "expected" topic of discussion, however, it is

a subject that many have thought about. Maybe, not openly

discussed...but many have mentally mulled over the subject.

There's enough information here to make for an interesting

discussion.

Hi Indy perhaps it would have been better if I had posted this in the discussion forum ?? That bieng said im very gratified with the response :)

Hi Indy perhaps it would have been better if I had posted this in the discussion forum ?? That bieng said im very gratified with the response :)

<Topic moved.>

We have used to have a lot of springs here in Central Texas that leach minerals which envelope roots, ferns, etc. It's interesting to observe.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

<Topic moved.>

We have used to have a lot of springs here in Central Texas that leach minerals which envelope roots, ferns, etc. It's interesting to observe.

Yes John i find it fascinating to see the process :) I would like to have seen the springs you mention are they dried up now ?

Due to our unrelenting drought, most of the springs in the area are dried up. :(

In this photo of what was a small bluff spring, you can see where roots and vines become the framework for minerals which precipitate from the water.

post-420-0-99189900-1314122655_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

thats a great photo , shame about the spring drying up