Need Help

sharkdentist

This is also from a trip at the first of the year in the edisto river a few people have i'd it as a fossilized horse hoof "inner core"? Horse teeth are found in this area.......any thoughts?post-1253-0-54934100-1314148945_thumb.jpg

Tracer i am not sure either 2 or 3 people said and i quote fossilized horse inner core of the hoof as to where the leg comes in ? I know teeth not horse lol

don't know, man. i just know i've got some horse feet parts and none of them resemble that.

Tracer i am not sure either 2 or 3 people said and i quote fossilized horse inner core of the hoof as to where the leg comes in ? I know teeth not horse lol

My initial thought was petrified wood, but after looking at the close-up, I am thinking a busted vertebrae.

Remeber, I am a chemist by trade.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

My initial thought was petrified wood, but after looking at the close-up, I am thinking a busted vertebrae.

Remeber, I am a chemist by trade.

Brent Ashcraft

that was my first guess also ashcraft

Appears to be some sort of iron concretion to me.

Cole~

Knowledge has three degrees-opinion, science, illumination. The means or instrument of the first is sense; of the second, dialectic; of the third, intuition.

Plotinus 204 or 205 C.E., Egyptian Philosopher

Hey SD, am I missing a view of the end sitting on the paper? :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hey Sharkdentist,

Long time no see! Although your find does resemble a hoof, the section your piece would represent on the animal is comprised of several bones...unless a horse had a serious pathology which fused these bones, it's unlikely that this is a hoof core.

CBK

Honking big antler base? :unsure:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hello Sharkdentist,

Here are a few pictures of a Fossilized Horse Hoof Core from my personal collection. Hope the pictures serve as a good reference sorce.

Bobby

post-6069-0-22502400-1314201893_thumb.jpg

post-6069-0-40006200-1314201934_thumb.jpg

post-6069-0-93463100-1314201978_thumb.jpg

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

Two more views.

sharkbyte thanks good pics cbk your right i am thinking broken vert of some kind thanks for the looks