New To Fossil Hunting

kfischer

As a family we have been collecting rocks and minerals for several years but within the last year or so discovered we can hunt fossils as well. I would put our level as novice. We live in NJ just south of Newark and would like to know if anyone knows of fossil collection sites within a 2 hour drive of our house.

We have visited the site near Woodbury, NY at the railroad road cut and found it to be a good site, especially for plant fossils. We went to Route 209 in Kingston but did not have much luck. Most of the cut where they said you can find fossils is overgrown and has a lot of poison ivy. We did find some good ones near Glenerie Falls just north of Kingston on 9W but had trouble finding it at first. It is not marked but we guessed where to stop after going too far north and lucked out on the first try. We have visited Rickards Hill Road in Schoharie twice and found a lot there. We visited John Boyd Thacher State Park in Voorheesville, NY twice and found many fossils imbedded in the cliffs, the stone used at the overlook, and some on the ground but you cannot collect there. It is worth the visit though.

My daughter wants to find trilobites, I want to find amber (the Sayerville site is off limits), and my husband wants to find ferns. If anyone has directions to good locations, please let us know.

If anyone is interested in minerals, visit Mt. Apatite, Auburn, Maine. We have found good samples of cloudy white quartz, feldspar, mica (silver and black), and black tormaline. http://www.maine.gov/doc/nrimc/mgs/explore/minerals/sites/apatite.htm

Carbondale Pa is a great site for ferns and it should be just around 2 hours from you, try mapquesting Carbondale Elementary School, Carbondale Pa, the site is just down the road from the school. I take my kids ,niece and nephews out there every October and we leave with tons of fossil ferns & calamites.

Welcome to the Fossil Forum from North Carolina.

Bobby

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

i dont know about fossils in n j but i do know fossils, and it is one of the greatest things a man or woman can do, its exciting, its good exercise you get to know new territory, you meet new friends, good luck God bless and never give up they are out there waiting for you!!!