Ramanessin Rarities

Darwin Ahoy

So, this has been a rather productive month thus far. Just figured I'd show some of the more rare finds from these past few weeks, as there are definitely some pieces I am very, very happy with here. Besides, everyone else seems to be posting NJ stuff, so why not, right?

Plesiosaur vertebra, 1.9" across at the widest.

post-1860-0-60098800-1314246706_thumb.jpg

Very large Archaeolamna kopingensis, my largest, at 1.1"

post-1860-0-13125800-1314246949_thumb.jpg

Shark vertebra, with cartilage preserved.

post-1860-0-11937100-1314246862_thumb.jpg

This is a very special piece for me, as Meristodonoides (Hybodus) is one of my favorite sharks to find. This one has a nearly complete root, which is rather unusual.

post-1860-0-33191200-1314246791_thumb.jpg

Here's my nicest piece of cartilage, with a very interesting/different texture on one side.

post-1860-0-96397900-1314247303_thumb.jpg

post-1860-0-79964600-1314247291_thumb.jpg

Partial Meristodonoides (Hybodus) fin spine.

post-1860-0-23916500-1314247440_thumb.jpg

My nicest Protolamna borodini, and large at 0.4" (you should see how tiny they usually are!)

post-1860-0-27277600-1314247805_thumb.jpg

And this guy deserves his own post. A tooth I have been specifically looking for, for nearly a year, and may be rarer here than I even really give it credit for. Serratolamna serrata, and other than minor dings that you cannot make out with the naked eye in person, is absolutely perfect. My current favorite tooth, and the top of my wish list fulfilled.

post-1860-0-11785200-1314248022_thumb.jpg

post-1860-0-33420000-1314248037_thumb.jpg

Congrats, Anthony. :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hi Anthony,

Great finds and Congratulations on filling your wish list! That's a fantastic feeling, isn't it, the first time you hold it in your hand?

Roger

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I sense your satisfaction, and it is well deserved!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Good stuff! Congrats! Could that odd texture be a skin impression?

Edited by JimB88

Good stuff! Congrats! Could that odd texture be a skin impression?

From what I have been told, it is the outer texture of whatever part it belonged to. Suspicion is possibly the rostrum of Ischyrhiza, but there's no real way to tell as far as I know.

Wow, great finds! Persistence pays off in the end.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thats some nice finds there. Variety and rarity are the 2 toughest to acheive

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Anthony,

Great Finds!! :wub:

All are unusual!

Thanks for posting these! :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

You've found some nice shark material. Meristodonoides (Hybodus) is especially cool. One day I'll find one that whole...

Serratolamna serrata is common in the Maastrichtian of Texas but Archaeolamna is always rare. Maybe Archaeolamna is a cold water shark and S. serrata is a warm water one?

Tony

Serratolamna serrata is common in the Maastrichtian of Texas but Archaeolamna is always rare. Maybe Archaeolamna is a cold water shark and S. serrata is a warm water one?

This is also true for North Carolina. I can only find Archaeolamna in a few Campanian localities, but S. serrata is common in the Maastrichtian.

It's the opposite for here. Archaeolamna is one of the 5 most common, along with Scapanorhynchus, Cretalamna, Squalicorax kaupi, and Squalicorax pristodontus.

And this guy deserves his own post. A tooth I have been specifically looking for, for nearly a year, and may be rarer here than I even really give it credit for. Serratolamna serrata, and other than minor dings that you cannot make out with the naked eye in person, is absolutely perfect. My current favorite tooth, and the top of my wish list fulfilled.

post-1860-0-11785200-1314248022_thumb.jpg

post-1860-0-33420000-1314248037_thumb.jpg

:bow:

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

• 3 weeks later...

congrats Anthony, great pictures as usual, the borodini is awesome...:Bananasaur:

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Having collected once with DA, I can tell you those fossils represent an enormous expenditure of effort. Congrats and great job! Thanks for posting these!

Hey nice finds Anthony! I remember what it's like to find a nice example of something you've never found before. Unfortunately, I haven't had that feeling ina while,... congratulations!

"There is no difference between Zen and Purgatory and Time Warner Cable, and they are trying to tach me this, but I am a dim impatient pupil."

----- xonenine