After The Hurricane

Sasquatch

So I will be going to my usual spot this weekend, looking along the shores of the potomac river in Virginia. Do you think going out soon after the storm is over would increase finds? Right now it appears Irene will be showing up at night so it would be morning when I got out there. Of course this is assuming the water level isn't still too high and all that jazz.

So I will be going to my usual spot this weekend, looking along the shores of the potomac river in Virginia. Do you think going out soon after the storm is over would increase finds? Right now it appears Irene will be showing up at night so it would be morning when I got out there. Of course this is assuming the water level isn't still too high and all that jazz.

Several factors....what time is low tide? what will the actual tide levels be due to all the rain and wind? is the drive far in case you get there and the water is too high? are there cliffs along the shoreline were you collect, if so, stay away for a couple days perhaps.

Daryl.

Research "storm surge". :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Several factors....what time is low tide? what will the actual tide levels be due to all the rain and wind? is the drive far in case you get there and the water is too high? are there cliffs along the shoreline were you collect, if so, stay away for a couple days perhaps.

Daryl.

No, it's not a bad drive. 10 - 20 minutes depending on which location I go to. As for cliffs, they are there but you don't have to be anywhere near them. And the tides:

Sa 27

High 1:49 AM

Low 8:03 AM

High 2:22 PM

Low 8:12 PM

Su 28

High 2:39 AM

Low 8:49 AM

High 3:08 PM

Low 9:06 PM

I'm unsure if I'll be staying longer than that.

Edited by Sasquatch

Don't count on being able to get there, and if you do, don't count on huntable conditions.

You might have your hands full of other priorities anyway...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

judging by these questions you can tell that most people dont have any idea how bad things are going to be after this storm. it's going to take days before any of you will be able to get to these areas to hunt. not to mention that the rivers, and tidal areas are going to be underwater for a week at least. plus there's all the debris that's going to be covering the beaches. this is going to be devastating for all the shoreline properties in Irene's path. good luck everyone!

Sasquatch et al...

I'm going to assume you've never been through a major hurricane before. This is not going to be some thunderstorm that blows through in an hour, followed by double rainbows with pots of megalodon (or Paleocarcharon if you prefer) teeth at the end. This is a slow moving storm (14 mph), and tropical storm force winds extend ~140 miles out from the eye, so it will take a day or more for the thing to crawl over you. In the meantime it will dump enough water to put your rivers into flood stage, and that will take days at least to drain off. Plus, it's likely most roads will be impassable, blocked with trees and downed power lines, and initially attention will be on clearing major thoroughfares. Little back roads will just have to wait, and depending on the general damage and flooding some might be impassible for a considerable time.

Don

Don't count on being able to get there, and if you do, don't count on huntable conditions.

You might have your hands full of other priorities anyway...

This is very true, the family we will be staying with lives just over a block from the water. The last hurricane I went through in that house was Isabelle and that destroyed a good portion of the town.

Thank you FossilDAWG and lordpiney. It has been so long since I sat through a decent sized storm I forget exactly what it is like. I barely remember Isabel but it did a LOT of damage to the town I will be in. I guess I'm kinda just hoping it won't be anywhere near as bad.

This is very true, the family we will be staying with lives just over a block from the water. The last hurricane I went through in that house was Isabelle and that destroyed a good portion of the town.

And staying a block from the water seems like a good idea? Why? Is your own house right on the water? It doesn't sound as if you're taking this hurricane very seriously. Hope you're still around to post this time next week.

Don

I just saw your last post (same time as mine). I too hope it won't be too bad, but no tooth is worth your life. No doubt you'd like to be the first to the beach to scarf up the best goodies, but keep you head down, don't take foolish risks (crazy is OK, foolish not so much), and be patient. I hope you get through this in good shape.

Edited by FossilDAWG

Sasquatch, I have been through many many hurricanes in my life as I have spent most of it in coastal NC. Fran, Bertha, Floyd, Isabelle among others. Most beach areas are off limits to any one other than residents for sometimes weeks after the storm and that is only after the area is deemed safe. The fact that you are planning a fossil trip and staying at someones house near the water with your kids tells me you have no idea what kind of devastation a hurricane can bring and that you have no respect for these mighty storms. Thats the type of people who scare me. 5 people died within 2 miles of my house during Hurricane Floyd because of flooding. I hope you and your family is safe, but to me you sound very foolish.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Kids too? That's just crazy!

Sasquatch, please be safe and check in as soon as you can after the storm has passed and power and internet are restored. We want to know you and your family are OK.

Don

Thank you FossilDAWG and lordpiney. It has been so long since I sat through a decent sized storm I forget exactly what it is like. I barely remember Isabel but it did a LOT of damage to the town I will be in. I guess I'm kinda just hoping it won't be anywhere near as bad.

your welcome bud. i just dont want to see you waste your gas on a trip down there, only to find the area you hunt underwater or worse. trust me...those teeth will be there next weekend.

In the news:

LUSBY, Md. (AP) - The Calvert County Commissioners have ordered a mandatory evacuation of homes within 100 feet of the cliffs along the Chesapeake Bay as Hurricane Irene moves into southern Maryland.

The county says the storm brings the potential for high winds, heavy rain and large battering waves in the bay that may pose a danger for unstable cliff areas. Jerry Clark, a county commissioner who oversees the area, says the evacuation order affects about 230 homes. Clark says officials are going into the neighborhoods with loud speakers to alert residents.

I won't be caught dead there... :mellow:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I would definitely give the beaches and especially beaches around cliffs severa days to dry and the water levels to drop. Even if the water levels are low, those water soaked cliffs are still heavier then usual and can fall more often then when they are dry. Those fossils will still be there, just give it a little time for conditions to improve. For now I suggest just preparing for the storm, make sure you have a good emergency kit. Its better to be prepared for the worst and not get it. Probably next weekend start thinking about those toothy treasures.

Good luck, and hope you and your family stay safe!

Mike

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Unfortunately, the urge for teeth is so great, I guarantee you that folks will be down at the Cliffs tomorrow as the rains subside. Even if there is 4ft of water to wade through, folks will go. I heard a few collectors brag

several years ago about going down to the cliffs after hurricane Isabel. They didn't find anything great, but still took the risk.

I read on another forum that Aurora, NC is under 4ft of water? Has anyone else heard or read that?

Sitting here typing this I can look out my windows and see the trees whipping back and forth and the rain pelts the glass. Had two large tree limbs about 12" in diameter come down in my yard about an hour ago. Looks like I'll be getting my chainsaw out tomorrow afternoon. You can almost time the bands of rain as the storm is approaching us here in MD. About every 10 minutes or so it gets really nasty outside, high winds and more

rain, and then it gets a little calmer for about 10 minutes, then it repeats.

Daryl.

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding, there are no children. Everyone involved is at least 20. There were problems with one persons flight so he only recently got here and will be going the rest of the way tomorrow. So with class Monday and a couple trees down in our yard and on the neighbors shed I probably wont even go to their house. The whole point of my father and I going there was to help keep them safe and clean up afterwards. Everyone else had already planned to go well before the hurricane. I figured if there happened to be extra time and the areas weren't too dangerous I may have tried looking for teeth. I was really just curious that if I could go if you thought the storm could increase what I found. We're all fine here, looking at the weather channel it looks like we've gotten the worst we're going to.

As for her house being just over a block from the water, the street is up probably 30 feet from the water so flooding wasn't a major concern. She just has a hard time getting around so for her to evacuate would have been difficult.

Thanks for your concern, it seems every time I post something I make myself seem borderline stupid. Sorry about that.