Personal Best Crinoid Stem

ghost1066

This so far is my best piece of the day. :wub: Still have pounds of rock to go through :wacko: . This one was literally the first thing I saw when I walked up to the cut face. I am leaving this pic large so you can see it better and maybe help pick out things on it. I haven't really looked at it or even cleaned it yet. Yeah I know there is no scale in the pic but I will clean it up and take some better shots.

post-6331-0-08995900-1314554093_thumb.jpg

I'm sure I'm stating the obvious, but I see a couple of brachs.

Yeah those things are in just about every rock here. Those are some of the bigger ones you find here. I will post a couple of hash plates I picked up today. Dozens and dozens on each one.

Alot of that here, too. I use alot of brachs, bryozoans, and crinoids to practice and experiment on prepping.

Love to see the hash plates. They certainly stir the imagination!

Steve

very nice crinoid stem!! :wub:

You should see if you can get it prepared.. it may be costly, but you may find something that you thought wasnt there ;)

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

very nice crinoid stem!! :wub:

You should see if you can get it prepared.. it may be costly, but you may find something that you thought wasnt there ;)

Thanks. I will prep it and see what else is under there. The stuff that needs cleaned off is mainly clay and comes off easily just takes some times.

Great specimen! Hope theres more good stuff like it beneath the surface. B)

I sometimes find crinoid stems, although more often from a top down, rather than side on view. Sometimes I have even found tiny bits popped right out of the matrix!

Great specimen! Hope theres more good stuff like it beneath the surface. B)

I sometimes find crinoid stems, although more often from a top down, rather than side on view. Sometimes I have even found tiny bits popped right out of the matrix!

Thanks and funny you should say that. I spent some time on it today and found another section laying on top of that one and they are wrapped around a cephalopod. I think part of the top is visible laying on its side near them. Pretty cool being able to tell the direction of the current at the time by how they are laying. Bunch of brachs are showing up but those are everywhere here. If you look at the pic I posted that is the cephalopod just below the stem. I will get another pic of the in progress posted tomorrow with luck.