Everybody Ok After Irene?

mako-mama

Hey guys,

To those of you who sent personal messages of well-wishes for Aurora--thanks so much! Hurricane is over-although not a large one-it seemed to take a liking to us and lingered way too long. Aurora is pretty much trashed-the museum buldings stood firm but appeared some took in water. We managed to get into Aurora today-trees and power lines down on every block.Evidence of cars which had been completely submerged. They have water service but no elec and prob wont for a few days. Most roads are passable only for a block...then turn-around and go back. I hear from the mine-main problem was flooding so shouldn't impact any long term access for us. Still trying to get word on our friends from Morehead City and Pamlico County but phone access is sporadic-or worse. Please,if ur on the east coast from NC to Conn., post your condition so we'll all know ur ok.I cant seem to get thru on cell phone.

Thanks again---every one of you. Pat Y

Hey guys,

To those of you who sent personal messages of well-wishes for Aurora--thanks so much! Hurricane is over-although not a large one-it seemed to take a liking to us and lingered way too long. Aurora is pretty much trashed-the museum buldings stood firm but appeared some took in water. We managed to get into Aurora today-trees and power lines down on every block.Evidence of cars which had been completely submerged. They have water service but no elec and prob wont for a few days. Most roads are passable only for a block...then turn-around and go back. I hear from the mine-main problem was flooding so shouldn't impact any long term access for us. Still trying to get word on our friends from Morehead City and Pamlico County but phone access is sporadic-or worse. Please,if ur on the east coast from NC to Conn., post your condition so we'll all know ur ok.I cant seem to get thru on cell phone.

Yea i saw pictures of washington nc and knew that aurora would have been a little worse from the water surge. Never thought the piles would get washed like that :) we are ok up here trees seemed to fall away from the house but we are without power still. Off tomorrow so maybe ill get some pictures up. Hope to hear feom eveeyone else. Oh i must add on a side note it was very exciting watching the sky with all of the transformers blowing up. Alot like fireworks....ooooo, ahhhhh. Take care everyone

Steve

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

We're ok here in Greenville. No damage but our crawlspace was full of water that had to be pumped out. A LOT of trees down throughout the area.

I hope that every body wil come out ok of this big storm.

Here in the Netherlands whe have storm's but never like the on's that hit the states.

I wich al the best for every body that has bin in this storm and hope that the damege is not to big.

Erik

I hope all members are well. I know what cyclones are like to live through.

I had a cyclone here six months ago YASI

The eye missed my home by 200km but was still a catagory 3 where I lived.

The only fatalites from YASI were after due to people using generators next to the back door or under the house so be careful.

In Prince Frederick, MD a lot of trees down, power was out yesterday but some more came on last night. In Solomon's power stayed on. I heard my house is still there in Long Island, NY :rolleyes:

Chesapeake Beach was closed to traffic in the morning...this gave the crews a chance to clean-up the downed trees and to restore power. Over all the area dodged a bullet. By early afternoon the area was open for business, with blue skys and direct sunlight.

Wednesday I am going to Brownies to see the extent of cliff/tree falls there.

Chesapeake Beach was closed to traffic in the morning...this gave the crews a chance to clean-up the downed trees and to restore power. Over all the area dodged a bullet. By early afternoon the area was open for business, with blue skys and direct sunlight.

Wednesday I am going to Brownies to see the extent of cliff/tree there.

yesterday they had collecters there starting at 1am, buddy of mine scored a freash 4 1/4" meg it would have been 5"+ had the root lobes stayed attached

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

yesterday they had collecters there starting at 1am, buddy of mine scored a freash 4 1/4" meg it would have been 5"+ had the root lobes stayed attached

WOW! Idiocy defined. Anybody stupid enough to be walking the cliffs at 1 am during a tropical storm/hurricane deserves the Darwin Award they are sure to win. The Plum Point area of the cliffs received 12+ inches of rain and the wind and rain were definitely still going strong even at 7 or 8 am yesterday. Dumb dumb dumb even for the chance at a huge tooth.

To all those out there considering a trip I would say relax... The good stuff will be washing up for weeks to come. Give the cliffs a few more days to sort out. All it would take is a bad cliff fall that nails a few people and you can be sure the access laws would get a tougher look.

Well, just a few minutes after posting Sat night on TFF, our power went out, sometime around 9:30 pm, and it is still out. We have a generator, so we're able to power the fridge, freezer, a lamp or two, laptops (no internet though). Luckily the temps outside aren't too high, so sleeping at night has been ok. Bit of a nuisance having to fill our 5-gallon gas tanks a couple times a day to keep the generator going, but at least we have a generator, many folks do not. The power company hopes to have power fully restored to all areas by Fri, Sept 2nd at 11:30pm - that stinks!

I stopped by Chesapeake Beach to see all the devastation - there is none, at least not along the cliffs. I've been collecting there for 15 years, and as far as Hurricanes go, this was did almost nothing to the cliffs at Chesapeake beach (Brownies). Matter of fact, the water didn't even get up real high to wash out some of the older piles. There are two new SMALL piles of dirt. The first one is from way up near the top which doesn't have any fossils in it. The second little pile, not even enough to cover your car, has some shells in it, but a few folks already dug through it completely.

For those of you who are driving from a far to go to brownies, I can't say that I would even bother. If you already have the time off from work, go, but have few expectations and enjoy the weather.

Daryl.

Interesting about Brownies from Cowsharks.

I really would have expected more falls and trees down. Like was said in previous posts on this topic, be very careful while collecting. There are times when you get so caught up in the hunt, that you stop and look up and wonder, "how did I wander under here?"

Thanks for the intel Daryl. I agree it is very interesting that nothing new really came down. With 12 inches of rain and 50+ mph winds I expected a nightmare of cliff falls and trees down.

Now that I think about it though the worst of the wind was blowing on shore for the majority of the time so that probably kept it from being so bad. Either way I still say it's best to let things dry out a few days.

Edited by hokiehunter

Sure. The house I own in Hampton Roads VA is fine...but me? no.

im not fine

Mother nature gave my coastal hunting grounds a wash, a clean slate if you will - mixed up everything and urned over some new material.....and I am over here in AFGHANISTAN...ajsd abd hbasdh basjkd jhadj hads

good hunting to all of my East Coasters......and hands off my megs. ill be back in a month and ill get them then. ;)

Hey guys,

We are happy all went good :)))))

take care evrybody on the upper Atlantic coast

Nando

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Thanks for the intel Daryl. I agree it is very interesting that nothing new really came down. With 12 inches of rain and 50+ mph winds I expected a nightmare of cliff falls and trees down.

Now that I think about it though the worst of the wind was blowing on shore for the majority of the time so that probably kept it from being so bad. Either way I still say it's best to let things dry out a few days.

Last night I heard the Baltimore Harbor Master say that the hurricane winds were such that they pulled water from the Chesapeake Bay rather than created a massive storm surge. I went down to Brownies a couple days before the Hurricane, and a couple days afterwards; there was no change to the landscape.

Here's the thing with Brownies, it's the simple law of supply and demand. The fossils are in the cliffs. If there aren't any new cliff collapses, then there aren't any new falls with fossils to replenish the supply on the beach. To compound matters, Brownies is the most heavily collected beach along the cliffs, so much so that it's difficult to even find the small teeth anymore. Any time a new fall does come down, it is quickly torn apart within a few days. So, with the supply way down, collecting there has really declined over the last few years. Thus, look to new areas, change your focus, collect the small(er) stuff, etc. Adapt. Yes, an occasional nice tooth shows up, but unless you're going a few times per week, you're probably not going to be the one that finds it. Think twice about driving a long distance to go there.

Daryl.

Well, just a few minutes after posting Sat night on TFF, our power went out, sometime around 9:30 pm, and it is still out. We have a generator, so we're able to power the fridge, freezer, a lamp or two, laptops (no internet though). Luckily the temps outside aren't too high, so sleeping at night has been ok. Bit of a nuisance having to fill our 5-gallon gas tanks a couple times a day to keep the generator going, but at least we have a generator, many folks do not. The power company hopes to have power fully restored to all areas by Fri, Sept 2nd at 11:30pm - that stinks!

I stopped by Chesapeake Beach to see all the devastation - there is none, at least not along the cliffs. I've been collecting there for 15 years, and as far as Hurricanes go, this was did almost nothing to the cliffs at Chesapeake beach (Brownies). Matter of fact, the water didn't even get up real high to wash out some of the older piles. There are two new SMALL piles of dirt. The first one is from way up near the top which doesn't have any fossils in it. The second little pile, not even enough to cover your car, has some shells in it, but a few folks already dug through it completely.

For those of you who are driving from a far to go to brownies, I can't say that I would even bother. If you already have the time off from work, go, but have few expectations and enjoy the weather.

Daryl.

I have to confirm this. Very few new falls and small ones at that. Was there this AM at 8:00am and people were already leaving. Never saw so few shark teeth on the beach! Our best find was a 1 1/4 inch Mako. One guy had a perfect Meg and a big Mako, but most of the people at brownies were collecting micro's. I even started to collect beach glass so that I could say I found something.:P But there was tons of space away from the cliffs, so it was pretty safe out there today. Road was closed from the south, but you could drive inland and back. The road to Breezy point looks like it won't be open for awhile with downed power lines accross it. Good luck all.

I have to confirm this. Very few new falls and small ones at that. Was there this AM at 8:00am and people were already leaving. Never saw so few shark teeth on the beach! Our best find was a 1 1/4 inch Mako. One guy had a perfect Meg and a big Mako, but most of the people at brownies were collecting micro's. I even started to collect beach glass so that I could say I found something.:P But there was tons of space away from the cliffs, so it was pretty safe out there today. Road was closed from the south, but you could drive inland and back. The road to Breezy point looks like it won't be open for awhile with downed power lines accross it. Good luck all.

I was only 100ft from the fella that found the Meg and large Mako. He sifted in an area that is usually very unproductive, and there is more gravel/stones there than shell material. Matter of fact, after he found those two teeth he continued to sift for about an hour and didn't find much else so he left that area. The Meg was a pretty light colored tooth about 2" long, and the Mako was a real dark colored tooth about 2" long as well. I spot sifted here and there and found next to nothing doing it. My back is real sore though.

Daryl.