Paleontologist Careers

Kosmoceras

Hi all,

I will be picking my subjects soon at school, and we have to start thinking about our careers. And in the UK, the salary is not great for palaeontology. I was wondering what branches of palaeontology there are you can go down, and which one has the best pay.

Can anyone help me, as I might have to settle at doing something else then, which I do not want to do, as finding fossils is my life, I can't think of anything better.

Thank you in advance!

Please help!

Thomas.

If finding fossils all your life is what you want to do, then pursuing a career in paleontology would not be the best way to achieve that goal.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Difficult to say at the outset Thomas. As you make your way through college the area of specialty may in fact choose you. I think that is fairly typical of how things turn out generally. There are a myriad of directions to turn initially and no coincidence for the urge to clear up all of the guessing before you have even started. Talk with others who have embarked upon a similar path but maybe a few years down the road from where you are now. To be more specific, talk with grad students who have made the commitment to a career in science. Regardless of what you narrow it down to, most professionals today must specialize. A good salary is worth having as well. Your dedicated effort is what will make the difference in that regard. I believe you really must be passionate about the choices you make in order to achieve that success.

Choose well and Good Luck Thomas! :)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

If finding fossils all your life is what you want to do, then pursuing a career in paleontology would not be the best way to achieve that goal.

Finding and preping, doing things with fossils. Anything to do with fossils really is what I want to do.

Difficult to say at the outset Thomas. As you make your way through college the area of specialty may in fact choose you. I think that is fairly typical of how things turn out generally. There are a myriad of directions to turn initially and no coincidence for the urge to clear up all of the guessing before you have even started. Talk with others who have embarked upon a similar path but maybe a few years down the road from where you are now. To be more specific, talk with grad students who have made the commitment to a career in science. Regardless of what you narrow it down to, most professionals today must specialize. A good salary is worth having as well. Your dedicated effort is what will make the difference in that regard. I believe you really must be passionate about the choices you make in order to achieve that success.

Very well said!

I struggled with the same questions you are now when I was an undergrad. Like Piranha suggests, I spent some time talking with paleo grad students. After soul searching, I decided that a career in paleo was not in my future, but instead I would pursue it as a serious hobby. You may choose to dive in and make it your life, or decide to make it a passionate sideline. Either way, you can't go wrong, and your "gut" will lead you down the correct path.

Good luck!!!!

a very heavy personal decision. my personal thoughts...i try to be practical with this sort of thing...love (of fossils or most hobbies) don't pay the rent, as the saying goes. decide what lifestyle you want then try to quantify its cost, then see what your preferred vocation pays and allows for retirement.

life is expensive, so i chose a career that would cover the bills better than being a paleontologist, big game hunting or fishing guide (some of my favorite pastimes- fill in the blank on your own). for me this has some advantages. i can pursue my hobbies with less chance of burnout than if i had to do them every day. plus i can structure my time as i see fit. for me that means 100% field time.

energy, hydrology, and geology are related fields that may better support a family.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I will do my best to find people steps ahead of me... ;)

I know one well paid "paleontologist". He works for a major oil company and he sorts thru forams and other microfossils all day and is bored. He said he loves to go collecting with us amateurs just to experience fossils he can actually see with his naked eyes. He spends no time in the field and as far as I know does no research he can publish.

I work in the museum world and I know of a few heads of departments who may be getting a decent salary but those are few and far between. One guy gets lots of press and travels to exotic locations but those are perks that don't necessarily actually pay out in cash. The museum side of paleontology is small with only a handful of museums doing research and publication. But it is a very satisfying environment to be in. You are educating people in a non-traditional way (versus university) and that can be cool. I was trained in Industrial design and if I had stuck with traditional products I would be making a great deal more. But instead I switched to exhibit design and I create fun stuff for kids and adults and it is always rewarding despite the low pay and screwy hours. If I had stuck with stereos and coffee makers I would have shot myself years ago.

I think Dan and a few folks have pointed out the need to make sure your desired life style and your career interests are compatible. You can't be happy in one and miserable in the other and expect to live a fulfilling life.

I advise young people to perform an exercise I wish had been presented to me years ago. Construct a matrix with in-demand careers with salaries acceptable to you on the horizontal axis, and things you really enjoy doing on the vertical axis. Find the intersections and consider them as potential career pursuits. If I were still young enough to follow my own advice, perhaps I could someday be found in my pajamas on my couch with my feet up writing up radiology reports on my laptop...

More seriously though, with all career paths you are considering, think about how demand for those careers may fluctuate with the economy. Certain goods and services remain in demand no matter what the economy does. Some can't be outsourced to a far away country either. Just my random thoughts for your consideration...feel free to explore or disregard them as you see fit and tailor your decision process to what suits you.

Grüße,

Find a career that pays a lot, so you will be able to afford the free time to travel around and collect fossils. That or rob a bank, either one is good.

Find a career that pays a lot, so you will be able to afford the free time to travel around and collect fossils. That or rob a bank, either one is good.

actually i think most bank robbers end up getting less than a thousand dollars per year of sentence, and i doubt they end up feeling like that was a decent wage for federal hard time...

The last chapter of Donald Prothero's 2009 book, "Greenhouse of the Dinosaurs," paints a very bleak picture for the high school student thinking about a career in paleontology in the 21st century. You should read that. The number of jobs (university, museum, government) has been shrinking over the past several years and the money has never been great anywhere. Often, your best bet, as noted previously, may be focusing on micropaleontology to get a job as a petroleum geologist. You might do some traveling but you won't be spending any workdays fossil collecting. You're not going to get rich doing that either.

If you can't be talked out of it, good luck to you. Study hard and stay alert for warning signs and opportunities along the way.

I think there was a related thread on the forum late last year or early this year. You might look into that as well.

Hi all,

I will be picking my subjects soon at school, and we have to start thinking about our careers. And in the UK, the salary is not great for palaeontology. I was wondering what branches of palaeontology there are you can go down, and which one has the best pay.

Can anyone help me, as I might have to settle at doing something else then, which I do not want to do, as finding fossils is my life, I can't think of anything better.

Thank you in advance!

Please help!

Thomas.

The last chapter of Donald Prothero's 2009 book, "Greenhouse of the Dinosaurs," paints a very bleak picture for the high school student thinking about a career in paleontology in the 21st century. You should read that. The number of jobs (university, museum, government) has been shrinking over the past several years and the money has never been great anywhere. Often, your best bet, as noted previously, may be focusing on micropaleontology to get a job as a petroleum geologist. You might do some traveling but you won't be spending any workdays fossil collecting. You're not going to get rich doing that either.

If you can't be talked out of it, good luck to you. Study hard and stay alert for warning signs and opportunities along the way.

I think there was a related thread on the forum late last year or early this year. You might look into that as well.

That has been true for sometime. I took all the paleo I could get, but I also took lots of geoscience and for 34 years I did geological mapping, coal geology, and public outreach at the Illinois Geological Survey. I was able to mix my love of paleo into a career in geology. Coal and Petroleum geologists are still needed....

russ

Ok, finally found this, here is a good link on what you need to be a paleontologist, I do recommend a join major/career still, like resource geology (coal, petroleum):

http://www.priweb.org/ed/lol/careers.html

ed_header.gifhomebutton100.gifcollbutton100.gifedubutton100.gifresbutton100.gifbookbutton100.gifexbutton100.gifgetinvbutton100.gifmusbutton100.gifabtbutton100.giflinkbutton100.gif

I Want To Be A Paleontologist !

Advice for Students and Parents

Paleontological Research Institution

Ithaca, NY

kidandfossil.jpg

There is no luckier person than the person who can make their passion their career. Most professional paleontologists are just such lucky people. They are people consumed with a passion to understand the history of life on earth. Paleontology is fun, thrilling, and fascinating, but it is also hard work. It is not "easier" than the more traditional "core" science disciplines of physics, chemistry, biology, or geology. In many ways, paleontology is more difficult than any other science -- because to be a good paleontologist you must know a great deal about all of these fields. Paleontology is among the broadest of sciences.

What is paleontology?

Paleontology is more than just dinosaurs! Paleontology is the study of the history of life on Earth, as reflected in the fossil record. Fossils are the remains or traces of organisms (plants, animals, fungi, bacteria and other single-celled living things) that lived in the geological past and are preserved in the crust of the Earth. There are many subdivisions of the field of paleontology, including vertebrate paleontology (the study of fossils of animals with backbones), invertebrate paleontology (the study of fossils of animals without backbones), micropaleontology (the study of fossils of single-celled organisms), paleobotany (the study of plant fossils), taphonomy (the study of how fossils form and are preserved), biostratigraphy (the study of the vertical distribution of fossils in rocks), and paleoecology (the study of ancient ecosystems and how they developed). Paleontologists also frequently are involved in studies of evolutionary biology.

What background do I need in high school?

The best starting point is a college preparatory program with as many science and math courses as possible. Outside reading in paleontology and visiting museums with fossil displays is helpful for building up knowledge of fossils themselves. No matter how interested or knowledgeable a student is in paleontology, however, good overall grades in high school are almost always required for admission to a good college or university, which is a necessary prerequisite for a career in paleontology.

What background do I need in college?

Strong background in the sciences is absolutely essential, with strong concentration in both biology and geology. An undergraduate institution should be chosen on the basis of its quality of general science education and especially the quality of its biology and geology programs. At this stage the student often has to make a difficult decision about whether to major in biology or geology. The ideal arrangement is a double-major, with full undergraduate training in both biology and geology. If this is not possible, the best solution is to major in one and take substantial course work in the other. Liberal arts courses should not be ignored. A good reading knowledge of a modern language (especially German, French or Russian) should be obtained as an undergraduate. Don't wait until graduate school! At least a full year of chemistry, physics, and mathematics through calculus, are required by most graduate programs and should be taken as early as possible as an undergraduate.

The courses that are most pertinent to paleontology include the following: mineralogy, stratigraphy/sedimentation, sedimentary petrology, invertebrate paleontology, ecology, invertebrate and vertebrate zoology, evolutionary biology, genetics.

Ability in statistical analysis and solid computer skills are absolutely required in modern paleontology and should not be left for graduate school. The more courses and experience in these areas at the undergraduate level, the better.

What other experience can I get?

Although strong academic course work is the most important element of paleontological training, students interested in paleontology can also benefit from obtaining first-hand experience in the field itself. Access to such experiences depend greatly on where you live. Before college, you can often seek out a paleontologist at a nearby museum, college, or university. These people will usually be able to suggest places to collect fossils, and may have volunteer opportunities in their institutions. Local gem and mineral or fossil clubs are often excellent avenues for learning where and how to collect fossils in the local area, and for meeting other people interested in and knowledgeable about fossils.

During the undergraduate years, opportunities for outside experiences often increase. If there is a paleontologist at the college or university, you may be able to pursue independent research. If not, you may be able to find volunteer opportunities at nearby museums. It is very important during the undergraduate years to talk directly with a professional paleontologist, who can answer your questions about not just the science but how the field works and how you can enter it.

Where should I go to graduate school?

A doctoral degree or PhD is almost always necessary for any serious professional career in paleontology. Many universities offer graduate training in paleontology, at both the Masters and PhD levels. Depending on your specific paleontological interests, specific requirements of individual schools, or personal considerations, you may wish to pursue a MS degree before a PhD or enter a PhD program directly. If you have not had much first-hand experience with research in college (such as writing a senior thesis), a master's degree first may be a good idea. More schools offer master's degrees than PhD's. After obtaining an MS, you may be able to remain at the same institution for your PhD or move on to another Institution.

Different universities have different strengths in different areas of paleontology, usually depending on the interests of individual professors. You can find out what professors are interesting to you by reading their published papers in professional journals such as Journal of Paleontology, Paleobiology, Palaios and Geology. At least some of these journals are available in most college libraries. You should make an effort to contact professors whose work interests you directly, by letter, email or phone, and arrange to visit their departments. This not only helps you learn more about their graduate programs, but may impress them with the seriousness of your interest.

A MS in paleontology usually takes 2-3 years to complete. A PhD usually takes 4-6 years (if you already have received a MS) or 6-8 years (if you do not already have a MS).

Where can I get a job?

Most professional paleontologists in the United States today are college and university professors. Most work in departments of geology, where they usually teach general geology courses in addition to paleontology. Smaller numbers of professional paleontologists work in museums. These paleontologists generally carry out their own research and teach and consult on exhibits only occasionally. A much smaller number of paleontologists work for government surveys, usually in geological mapping or other applied geological problem solving.

Until relatively recently, a large number of paleontologists worked for major oil companies, helping to search for petroleum. These companies still employ some paleontologists, but a much smaller number than before.

Overall, there are probably fewer jobs in paleontology in the U.S. than there were a few years ago, but a few good jobs still become available each year.

Sources of More Information

redbar.gif

The Paleontological Research Institution

1259 Trumansburg Road Ithaca, NY 14850 phone: 607-273-6623 fax: 607-273-6620

Questions about the Website? Tell us!

The other guys have offered some interesting ideas on career path. For each you might consider comparing (avg salary / out of pocket cost of education / years in school) just to have a quick index for comparing bang for the buck for the amount of time and money you are willing to invest in your education. The higher the index, the higher the cost-benefit ratio. I wish I had done this 20 years ago.

Grüße,

<a degree in chemistry can open all kinds of doors; just sayin'>

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i am pleased that my 9 year old on his own has expressed interest in becoming a chemist. once i explained that he could work in evolving battery technology, pharmaceutical development, advanced polymers, flavor chemistry, and a host of other in-demand fields he showed even more interest.

Grüße,

Chemistry is a good field, or many others. What alot of us are saying is that you may need to find a job or vocation to be employed, a double major perhaps. I was able to do it and be blessed to do it in a related field of geology. You need to find a way to make paleontology an avocation ie:

(An avocation is an activity that one engages in as a hobby outside one's main occupation. There are many examples of people whose professions were the ways that they made their livings, but for whom their activities outside of their workplaces were their true passions in life.)

In geology, mineral resources are hot (coal and petroleum are ones that put you in area of rocks with fossils you can often collect on side, other mineral resources may not as much but there are fields that are needed). Being at a geological survey in coal section I was afforded tons of opportunities to collect in coal bearing (Pennsylvanian) strata, my geologic mapping afforded me tons of time looking at fossil bearing rocks in southern Illinois. Working for a mineral company you will have less time to do fossiling near job time, but it may put you places that during off hours you could collect nearby formations.

Hi all,

Thank you in advance!

Please help!

Thomas.

This is what I would do, if I was 18 again.

I would double major in biology and geology. Then I'd go for my PHD. College professor pay is not that bad. If you change your mind and decide you want to make lots of money, with a degree in geology you can always go to work for a mining or oil company.

Wow, so many posts! :o

Well, where do I start...

I can't thank you all enough for the helpful comments you all gave me! :D

I now have a better understanding of the situation, and I think I know roughly where to look for the right degree and job.

Thanks again!

Thomas.

Okay, here is my two cents, take it with a grain of salt if you wish but, when you are messing around with fossils, what area do you seem to have no problem remembering? you know, that one area that just comes "naturally" to you, that is the field area that you would be an expert at and have the most fun.

I am an aerospace engineer by trade, I love my job, and I graduated 2nd in my class for my engineering degree. My wife said in the 4 years of college (I went non-stop thru the summers to finnish in 4 years) she said she never seen me study for an exam. It is true, I never really sat down and studied only because I loved what I was doing andI retained the information.

As some above, I would offer to you some life experience and ask that you consider an alternate career, one that you know will allow the money or time off so that you can still have fossiling as a hobby.

What other areas are you interested in for a career? I know you have to have others, heck, I thought I would be a police officer, a fireman, an astronaut, a soldier. Well, I was a soldier, in fact a combat veteran and I am the first person in my family to ever go to and graduate from college. I now have three degrees and I am still learning.

Good luck with your decision and most likely you will change your mind as you are in college or you meet someone special. I know if I lived in the UK I would be metal detecting a lot~!!!!! lol matter of fact, I have friends in the UK and my wife and I are scheduled to visit them next year, I think I may bring my metal detector with me, lol

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"